Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Francisl
    Participant

Tulse wrote: Why aren’t smart angel investors flocking to the doors of LPP?

My view is that smart angel investors are looking for things they understand and can calculate the risk/reward ratio for.
    They don’t know much about fusion and what they do know suggests that the risk is great and the reward is distant
    and small compared to other things they can invest in. If fusion power turns out to be cheap then investors will
    make side bets in the parts of the economy that will be affected.
    Big energy users have the most to gain if fusion is successful. Companies that run big computer server farms would
    seem to be likely investors. Steel, aluminum and cement manufacturers along with nitrogen fertilizer makers etc.
    should be interested.
    I doubt that any of those companies would make a large contribution by themselves. They may be willing to
    make donations through their trade associations. The individual amounts may be modest but the total could be substantial.

Chuctanunda
    Participant

Why aren’t smart angel investors flocking to the doors of LPP?

A successful proof of concept outcome may change all this. There may be money standing on the sidelines waiting to jump in at the right moment. Also, some good press should help. Most non-wonks are only aware (vaguely) of ITER. They may have heard some noise about cold fusion. I’ll bet most prospective money never heard of focused fusion and it’s very real potential. This may be the the world’s best kept secret. The name alone assures that most will see it as only a very speculative untested new area of physics. We need publicity. We need to be COOL. We need to be INEVITABLE.

Breakable
    Keymaster

Francisl wrote:

Why aren’t smart angel investors flocking to the doors of LPP?

Big energy users have the most to gain if fusion is successful. Companies that run big computer server farms would
    seem to be likely investors. Steel, aluminum and cement manufacturers along with nitrogen fertilizer makers etc.
    should be interested.
    ….

“Big energy users” that’s a very good term. The application of this term is however is too narrow. If suddenly I wanted to fly to Mars, build a house there and to make food/water by extracting materials from atmosphere I would personally become a “Big energy user”. These days as energy is becoming increasingly scarce everyone is encouraged to use less of it – to save water, to travel less, to have a smaller house/car, etc. The same goes for the industry – only those industries that use less energy are being encouraged (biotech, IT, legal, fashion…).
    The opposite of energy scarcity can also be luxury. Having a big house, making food out of air, extracting gold from seawater, traveling a lot – using a plane or going off planet is not necessary waste.
    In case energy becomes clean, cheap and plentiful its demand will not fall – the users of big energy are going to grow and every single one of them will benefit.

Chuctanunda
    Participant

President Obama on his recent visit to Africa proclaimed the goal of doubling Africa’s electrical production. This of course is very achievable, and over time, inevitable. With the promise of focused fusion, this can become a reality more quickly and cheaply than with conventional means. Cheap clean energy is the ingredient needed to raise world living standards and create an economic super storm. Lower cost for everything from food production to the supply chain for consumer goods to access to affordable residential electricity all combine to accomplish this objective. Focused fusion applications for space exploration are exciting in their own right. There’s so much at stake here it makes me anxious. Those of you actually doing the work at LPP must live on a roller coaster. Good Luck and God Speed…

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.