Homepage Forums National Ignition Facility (NIF) et al Magnetic behavior discovery could advance nuclear fusion

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Participant

Francisl wrote: Magnetic behavior discovery could advance nuclear fusion

The article quotes a scientist:

“Essentially, what we found is a completely new magnetic reconnection mechanism,” Thomas said

“Magnetic reconnection” is fictional concept invented to explain solar flares without acknowledging the large-scale role of electric currents. I wouldn’t pay any attention to their interpretation of this discovery.

No its not. Sheesh. We have lab plasma’s that relax via magnetic reconnection all the time.

Participant

Do you actually believe that magnetic field lines break and reconnect, or is the term ‘magnetic reconnection’ just a poor description of another process?

Participant

@ Pollard. You may take the words ‘magnetic reconnection’ as an abbreviation for ‘impact of heat production and transport on the plasma geometry”. Should no amount of heat be produced and transported anywhere across the plasma at any time, then the plasma geometry would be severely constrained. LPPX starts from the basic fact that such heat production and transport processes actually occur and allow the plasma to access geometries otherwise unaccessible. Such shapes include precisely the ‘hot spots’ Lerner assumes to be the nest of practically useful, thermonuclear reactions. Trouble is, nobody knows what the relevant phenomena of heat transport and production are actually like in a themronuclear plasma. Such ignorance is precisely no fusion energy is yet available. This is also why the title of the present thread is “Magnetic behavior discovery could advance nuclear fusion” rather than “Magnetic behavior discovery does advance nuclear fusion”.

I never saw the point of NIF. There’s no way it will ever be a production technology, even if it eventually works.

Andrew Palfreyman wrote: I never saw the point of NIF. There’s no way it will ever be a production technology, even if it eventually works.

Such is most purely scientific experiments. The principles learned in a machine that will never resemble a practical device, is still valuable. Experimental reactors != Demonstration reactors

Participant

Andrew Palfreyman wrote: I never saw the point of NIF. There’s no way it will ever be a production technology, even if it eventually works.

It’s primary purpose is weapons research, the fusion is political spin to sell it to the public.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.