The Focus Fusion Society Forums Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Science and Applications Is the plasmoid in focus fusion connected in any way

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Earl of Plasma
    Participant

Hi

When I see the video that describes the process of focus fusion it looks as the the plasmoid is on it’s own, not connected with anything. But that can not be the case or? No connection or contact with anything would mean no current and therefore, no magnetic field and no force to hold the plasmoid together. It would just dissolve. Is it connected with plasma or the cathode or maybe the current flew through a electric field. Can someone explain what happens with the plasmoid?

Lerner
    Participant

It is always connected to the rest of the circuit along the axis. In the video, it is always shown either with the filament attached or producing the beams, which carry a huge current in the same direction as the filament.

Earl of Plasma
    Participant

Thanks a lot.

I supposed it had some connections until it ends completely and a new plasmoid begin to form.

willit
    Participant

With that being said.. What is the best model of a plasmoid?
    Is it a torroid with multiple filament strands, each individual circuits occurring from the original filament formation?
    or one coiled filament strand finally connecting to it’s own tail (one circuit?
    Is it a torroid at all?
    If it is a torroid, could it be magnetically re shaped within its lifespan.?
    This question stems from a mental experiment looking at ion travel in the plasmoid if formed as a torroid.
    If thinking of the entire system as an internal 4 stroke combustion engine, 1 suck, 2 squeeze, 3 bang , 4blow.
    The fuel is already in the chamber so anything captured in the plasmoid should be able to fuse. 1 is done.
    2 an internal engines piston decreases the volume increasing the pressure while heating the charge due to the heat of compression, which I apply to the rundown and pinch creating the plasmoid or getting the fuel mixture ready for ignition. 2 is done.
    3 an internal combustion engine uses a spark or direct injection of fuel to burn the fuel mix releasing the energy . without the spark it won’t run. My thought.. If the ions in the plasmoid are circling from inside to outside the torroid in a circle not in contact with one another,… could it be squeezed and reshaped into a twisted hourglass causing the ions to be put on a collision course? Increasing the likelihood of fusing? Even an internal combustion engine can “diesel” without a spark. Which may explain some fusion reactions in fofu 1 .
    Still what is the best model?

Earl of Plasma
    Participant

What is important is that the plasmoid is round more or less and the amount of current that run through it. I dont think its matter so much if the plasmoid is divided in filaments or look as an coil or toroid etc. Its round and the current goes round and round as the current in a electric coil. As in an electric coil you can press a big current through a thick electric wire but laps will be few or you can press a smaller current through a thin wire but the laps will be many, but the magnetic field is roughly the same in both cases. The more current the stronger magnetic field which contract the plasmoid which also leads to a stronger field. The Amp must be very important cause it decide how dense the plasmoid will be.

willit
    Participant

Earl, Eric, I don’t think you got my point or maybe its a moot point.
    As the plasmoid filaments or filament is carrying all of the ions without electrons, they are ready to combine and fuse. With equal charge they would naturally separate to the greatest distance allowed along the fillament. If they are all traveling in the same path they are likely not going to collide and fuse. If you think about it like a car crash up figure 8 track the ions must travel through the center which would put more of them on a collision course. If the ions have enough momentum and are properly aligned many could overcome the weak force and join. Otherwise as the plasmoid decays only a few would be able in the last moment of plasmoid existence.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.