The Focus Fusion Society Forums Building a Better Focus Fusion Society Is it the goal of the FFS to help LPP get investors?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tulse
    Participant

Is it the goal of the FFS to help LPP get investors? I’m a bit confused as to the relationship between FFS and LPP, and to the mission of FFS. I would have thought that investment issues would rest solely with LPP.

Rezwan
    Participant

Excellent question. That was moved here from the thread on accredited investors. That thread was about what it would take for FFS to invest directly in LPP.

This one is about the parameters of what we can do as far as drawing investors to LPP. I’ve been told we can’t solicit funds directly. Indirectly is OK, talking about LPP, which allows investors to become better informed. [Need concrete guidelines. Is there a nonprofit lawyer in the house?]

So, what IS the goal?
    I think the goal of FFS is broader than LPP. LPP’s experiment is a means to the ends that FFS seeks (cheap, clean, safe, abundant fusion energy for everyone), but due to uncertainties, FFS can’t rely completely on the success of LPP. So we need to have a plan B standing by, and we need to be networking with other organizations for the broader fusion push. This is why context is so important.

LPP has the most elegant fusion idea – aneutronic, small scale, elegant, using natures instabilities instead of trying to control nature. If it works, it perfectly meets our goals. So the first project of FFS is to figure out ways to ensure that the LPP experiment takes place and is conducted with rigorous care and produces results that are peer reviewed.

This process may take longer than anticipated, and the outcome is uncertain – both in the positive and negative sense. E.g., if the outcome is that fusion works as theorized with the DPF – there may be all kinds of unanticipated consequences – challenges, chaos – who knows? – for which we need a robust organization that is well networked and has strong friends in many places.

Likewise, if the project is run with all good faith but doesn’t demonstrate feasibility, or suggests further work is needed, a further missing theoretical piece – we’d like to have people primed and prepared to continue with that work. Again, networking and allies are important. A broad base of support. Something to continue building on.

And no grounds for accusations of “oversold”.

That’s how I see the goals of FFS shaping up.

But right now, for the most part, LPP could use more money. A lot more, to take it up from the current “shoestring” level. So, if we can’t “solicit investors” – we don’t want to be scaring them off with talk of “backup plans”. Or does having a backup plan increase credibility and make us all appear well rounded and rational?

Rezwan
    Participant

Rezwan wrote: So the first project of FFS is to figure out ways to ensure that the LPP experiment takes place and is conducted with rigorous care and produces results that are peer reviewed.

This, by the way, is where the reframing from results to responsibility takes place. Our job is to make sure the research happens. “Success” in that sense means getting the machine to go through the paces, doing all the tests correctly and collecting the data, double checking that data, and making sure whatever answer is obtained is accurate.

The answer obtained – that’s what most people think about when they think about results. Is the answer “yea, there is feasibility” or is the answer “nay – try again some other way?”

If you’re focused on the second part – the outccome, that’s results orientation. We’d love positive results, but we are committed to doing the hard work. We are approaching fusion responsibly, and not wishfully.

It’s about making sure the work is done, that there are adequate resources for our people to get that work done, that they won’t be crucified if they don’t get the results we all hope for, that they and other fusion scientists can keep on working toward feasibility.

I think the best attitude is that responsibility will lead to results, hopefully really quickly, but if not now, then eventually. But certainly not if it continues to be under-resourced. That’s not “investor seeking” but just a general wake up call.

We have a responsibility to model good fusion-seeking behavior.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.