The Focus Fusion Society Forums Lawrenceville Plasma Physics Experiment (LPPX) How's the new tungsten cathode working out?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant

Has it seen current yet and is it behaving?

Lerner
    Participant

Another two or three weeks to first firing–making sure everything is put together right.

Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant

Let us hope that there are no hot spots, no spallations to pollute the plasma and that plasma density increases by the predicted factor. Indeed, let’s hope to beat expectations.

Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant

So sorry to hear about the cathode assembly troubles. Deepest sympathies.

Tim1
    Participant

Andrew Palfreyman wrote: So sorry to hear about the cathode assembly troubles. Deepest sympathies.

For those of you who don’t get the newsletter. (Maybe only investors?) The cathode had a lower strength than expected and developed (micro?) cracks. It sounds like they have a fix, so it doesn’t sound like a real setback.

I am a bit confused about the information contained in the newsletter. I think I saw it posted on nextbigfuture.com the day the newsletter was emailed once. Should it be embargoed until it is posted on the LPPF site, or should it be available immediately after it is sent?

Tim1
    Participant

Since a beryllium cathode is in the works, what will we learn from the tungsten cathode that we won’t know from the beryllium cathode? (And anode.)

Tim1
    Participant

Most of the information from the newsletter has been posted at:
    http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/04/lpp-fusions-tungsten-cathode-already.html

Ivy Matt
    Participant

I believe the newsletter is sent to investors, FFS members, and IndieGoGo contributors. It used to be that investors got the newsletter a few days before FFS members, and before the news items were posted on the LPP website, but that practice seems to have changed, perhaps since the crowdfunding campaign. A link to the newsletter has been posted on the LPPX Twitter feed, so I imagine it’s fair game.

Tulse
    Participant

I am super impressed at how forthcoming LPP was about the cathode cracking problems — the newsletter is very clear both about what the issue was, where things went wrong, and what they’re doing to fix it. I can’t think of any other company that would be willing to say “our president and chief scientist made an error that caused a sizeable problem”. I really do appreciate the enormous amount of transparency that LPP has always provided, and the fact that the company seems free of the PR and spin that so many other startups have.

Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant

Hear hear!

Earl of Plasma
    Participant

When will the first shot with the new tungsten cathode take place.

Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant

All quiet for 2 weeks. Hopefully progress is positive…

Lerner
    Participant

Steady progress towards firing. Taking it slow but accurate.

meemoe_uk
    Participant

I recall focus fusion lectures stating that smaller is the way to go ( with the example of the tokamak as a fusion reactor that is too big ). In this sense, this big new cathode is a step backwards.

why is the new cathode so big?

Lerner
    Participant

Fiber-epoxy reinforcement of tungsten cathode completed! Next comes adding steel brace

By the way, this cathode is not larger in the dimension that counts–the inner radius of the vanes. It is larger just because we have moved the current contacts outside the vacuum chamber to create a monolithic part, so that there is no arcing between pieces.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.