Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Earl of Plasma
    Participant

What I can understand from the result of the LPP experiments longer fusion time and/or higher magnetic field is reacquired to get enough fusion? Especially if you want to use Boron. Higher magnetic field means higher current, doesn’t it? I suppose that also cold prolong the time the plasmoid exist because the tighter plasmoid can stand a higher rate of fusion before it bursts.

So what’s the problem?

Is it the capacitors. Must be able to make or by the capacitors you need or? But it can cost much of course.

Is the tear of the anodes and the cathode wen the current get to big? Could cooling help for that. The cooling don’t have to be waste. It can be used for steam or hot water.

Francisl
    Participant

DerekShannon wrote: I’m starting this forum for discussion of the 2014 kickoff report and 2013 review released by LPP.

The above link shows the most recent plan for tackling the problems you mention.

Earl of Plasma
    Participant

Well done.
    Whats below here is what LPP actually done and mesured?

n the first few months of 2013, we reduced to insignificant levels persistent leaks that had introduced gaseous impurities into the plasma. Reductions in contact resistance further reduced, although it did not eliminate, impurities. That allowed us to achieve a three-fold increase in plasma density and a rise in fusion yield to 1/6th of a joule. In addition we achieved a leap in ion beam output to a record 400 GW. – See more at:

The suggestian below I wonder about, how did LPP estimate this? I hope there are some substantial behind this.

we will start experiments in May with the tungsten electrodes, expecting a nearly 100-fold increase in plasmoid density and fusion yield.

Finually I wish best luck with the founding to every serious concept in this field. I think developing several concepts will lead much faster to one or several useful, economic and practical fusion energy resources.

Earl of Plasma
    Participant

It was another thing I forgot to ask about. How does it work with tungsten or Wolfram cathode? Do LPP change material becouse of the higher melt point for Wolfram? It must though have higher resistance. Isn’t that a disadvantage?

Francisl
    Participant

Earl of Plasma wrote: It was another thing I forgot to ask about. How does it work with tungsten or Wolfram cathode? Do LPP change material becouse of the higher melt point for Wolfram? It must though have higher resistance. Isn’t that a disadvantage?

Yes, tungsten was chosen because of its high temperature rating. The conductivity is surprisingly good.

Earl of Plasma
    Participant

Ok I see thank you for that Francis.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.