The Focus Fusion Society Forums Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Science and Applications High-quality 3-D metal parts using additive manufacturing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Francisl
    Participant

This may be premature because we don’t have the operating characteristics for a power producing DPF, but I have a suggestion for reducing the cost of the beryllium electrodes. It is similar to previous discussions about advanced manufacturing methods for the tungsten electrodes. Selective laser melting (SLM) can create the 98-100% beryllium center electrode that is exposed to the intense x-rays. Then there is an alloy transition zone that changes from beryllium to beryllium/copper alloy and then to 100% copper base that is outside of the vacuum chamber. This would be one continuous metal piece without any welds or ohmic connections that plagued earlier electrodes.
    I don’t know the planned dimensions for the beryllium center electrode but this method could reduce the amount of beryllium required.

mchargue
    Participant

Francisl wrote: This may be premature because we don’t have the operating characteristics for a power producing DPF, but I have a suggestion for reducing the cost of the beryllium electrodes. It is similar to previous discussions about advanced manufacturing methods for the tungsten electrodes. Selective laser melting (SLM) can create the 98-100% beryllium center electrode that is exposed to the intense x-rays. Then there is an alloy transition zone that changes from beryllium to beryllium/copper alloy and then to 100% copper base that is outside of the vacuum chamber. This would be one continuous metal piece without any welds or ohmic connections that plagued earlier electrodes.
    I don’t know the planned dimensions for the beryllium center electrode but this method could reduce the amount of beryllium required.

Sounds like a great question, and a good way to combat expense if it works.

As I understand it, so long as there’s no copper interfering with x-rays, it could be used. An interesting research project would be an SLM produced piece that faded from copper to beryllium as a test for how current is conducted, and how heat is conducted.

vansig
    Participant

you might want to have a look at the beryllium-copper phase diagrams.
    http://www.georgesbasement.com/Microstructures/NonFerrousAlloys/Lesson-3/Slide13.jpg
    microstructures are interesting and their properties should be known if planning this
    http://www.georgesbasement.com/Microstructures/NonFerrousAlloys/Lesson-3/Specimen06.htm

mchargue
    Participant

Here’s an article that talks about 3D-printing metal pieces that change materials over the extent of the print,

http://www.kurzweilai.net/3d-printing-objects-containing-multiple-metals-and-alloys

Good to know that the technology is in place to test this.

Pat

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.