Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Henning
    Participant

If I understand you correctly you wanna submerge a DPF in heavy water (deuterium plus oxygen). Then with an electric discharge you’re creating a bubble big enough to to cover the complete DPF, including the base, the insulator, the electrodes. And this perfectly, otherwise the sheath will go astray. Within that bubble it’s 10GPa, or is it just the initial pressure (probably much more so, I suppose). Ok, that bubble expands from tiny (10GPa) up to the size of the DPF, then it’s maybe the required 1kPa (10mbar) for the sheath to form. Remember, you need a vacuum for the DPF to work. Nothing gained compared to a gaseous deuterium/oxygen mixture, and oxygen is a bad idea for short lived fusion anyway.

Axil
    Participant

Henning wrote: If I understand you correctly you wanna submerge a DPF in heavy water (deuterium plus oxygen). Then with an electric discharge you’re creating a bubble big enough to to cover the complete DPF, including the base, the insulator, the electrodes. And this perfectly, otherwise the sheath will go astray. Within that bubble it’s 10GPa, or is it just the initial pressure (probably much more so, I suppose). Ok, that bubble expands from tiny (10GPa) up to the size of the DPF, then it’s maybe the required 1kPa (10mbar) for the sheath to form. Remember, you need a vacuum for the DPF to work. Nothing gained compared to a gaseous deuterium/oxygen mixture, and oxygen is a bad idea for short lived fusion anyway.

If I understand you correctly you wanna submerge a DPF in heavy water (deuterium plus oxygen). Then with an electric discharge you’re creating a bubble big enough to to cover the complete DPF, including the base, the insulator, the electrodes.

No, that is not my intent.

I want to create a bubble only large enough to enclose the plasmoid near the tip of the anode; maybe about 3 centimeters or so in diameter. This bubble may be formed by a small secondary electric discharge that precedes the large change that forms the plasmoid.

And this perfectly, otherwise the sheath will go astray.

After sufficient relaxation time, the bubble will stabilize in a perfectly round shape.

However, if the size, shape and position of the bubble becomes an important issue, sound waves in the heavy water can be used to produce a single bubble in the same way as it is done in “single bubble sonoluminescence”.

See as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoluminescence

Within that bubble it’s 10GPa, or is it just the initial pressure (probably much more so, I suppose). Ok, that bubble expands from tiny (10GPa) up to the size of the DPF, then it’s maybe the required 1kPa (10mbar) for the sheath to form

As the bubble collapses, the pressure increases. No one really knows how high the pressure eventually goes, but it is higher than 10 Gpa. The best time to trigger the creation of the plasmoid must be determined by experiment. It is possible that pressure can be discounted and ignored. Experiment will determine its role.

you need a vacuum for the DPF to work

This is true for boron fusion where energy is extracted using x-rays.

The idea here is to produce thermal neutrons. The production of neutrons does not need a vacuum to be successful.

Nothing gained compared to a gaseous deuterium/oxygen mixture, and oxygen is a bad idea for short lived fusion anyway.

Yes, the DIANA data shows that oxygen does contaminate the fusion plasma and retard D-D fusion somewhat. But it does not stop the fusion process.

Experimentation will provide a tradeoff study among the various variables involved in this concept.

If oxygen becomes a problem then Lithium Deuteride can be used as an alternative to heavy water.

On second thought Lithium Deuteride may be a better fusion medium than heavy water in any case. It has many advantages. I will address this in a future post. Thanks for the idea.

Let’s switch from heavy water to Lithium Deuteride. OK? (see a later post in the Plasma Focus Forum)

On the plus side of using a liquid medium, helium ash will be easy to remove from the fusion fuel.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.