The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe Government vs. Science

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Brian H
    Participant

Rezwan;
    excellent and humorous posts! One wee correction: “ween” means consider, believe (archaic term). “Wean” means gradually deprive of mother’s milk. :cheese:
    Aero: You implicitly acknowledge the long-run nature of this effort: “10-20 years”. I see the partial and then full impact of FF validation hitting in 4-10 years, rendering your grass-roots project irrelevant.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Brian, 10 to 20 years from now refers to today’s toddlers. Guess what could happen when today’s high school and college students begin to realize HOW they can make a difference in technology and politics. If the bar isn’t set high to begin with, you have nobody but yourself to blame for lackluster results.

Rezwan, although I envisioned this network to tackle a number of the people challenges I see coming for FF, I left room in the definition for other projects that any community feels is important enough to self-fund using the same network.

Back in high school we sold dollar stocks in my Junior Achievement company, but that was only a short term company. Maybe if the “PDC” were to hold science raffles or crap shoots. Except in this lottery you know precisely where the money went, and the intangible gains that you’re helping fund. 🙂

Aeronaut
    Participant

Let’s take this from another angle. Suppose each of several thousand Community Science Co-op Inc. labs were to do contract science and prototyping. The main point is that with no ownership issues, I don’t see exposure to SEC regulations unless a lab wanted to sell stock in itself. This is what I was referring to with the barn raising example.

Brian H
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote: Let’s take this from another angle. Suppose each of several thousand Community Science Co-op Inc. labs were to do contract science and prototyping. The main point is that with no ownership issues, I don’t see exposure to SEC regulations unless a lab wanted to sell stock in itself. This is what I was referring to with the barn raising example.

I think, that, amongst other things, you will simply be overtaken by events. If FF proceeds as fast as I anticipate, it will be impacting the economy and world in a big way before you’ve gotten to first or second base with these initiatives. Barring near miraculous uptake, these things take lotsa time and effort.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Brian H wrote:

Let’s take this from another angle. Suppose each of several thousand Community Science Co-op Inc. labs were to do contract science and prototyping. The main point is that with no ownership issues, I don’t see exposure to SEC regulations unless a lab wanted to sell stock in itself. This is what I was referring to with the barn raising example.

I think, that, amongst other things, you will simply be overtaken by events. If FF proceeds as fast as I anticipate, it will be impacting the economy and world in a big way before you’ve gotten to first or second base with these initiatives. Barring near miraculous uptake, these things take lotsa time and effort.

I agree that they always have, not that they always will. Open sourcing research is how you prevent mushrooming interest from consuming all of the oxygen like a flash fire. One for all, and all for one. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.