The Focus Fusion Society Forums Financing Fusion Google offers $10M for ideas that can 'change the world'

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ailabs
    Participant

In light of Eric Lerner’s previous presentation at Google Tech Talks a year ago, Focus Fusion might have a very good chance of becoming one of the winners in Google’s latest Project 10^100 competition.

Is this worth looking into? :

September 24, 2008 (Computerworld) Google Inc., which is celebrating its 10th birthday this month, today unveiled a $10 million effort to implement ideas that can “change the world by helping as many people as possible.”

As part of the Project 10^100 (pronounced Project 10 to the 100th), Google plans to ask its users to submit ideas until Oct. 20 for ways to improve people’s lives. Google will choose what it feels are the 100 best ideas and then allow its users to vote on which of them should be funded.

The users will narrow the results to 20 finalists, and a panel of judges will choose up to five ideas that will receive funding, Google said. The link is:

http://www.project10tothe100.com/index.html

belbear42
    Participant

Did anyone actually submit the idea of focus fusion to the 10^100 website? If it ain’t submitted it can’t win and as I see it, it’s not necessary to be “The Inventor Himself” (a.k.a. Eric Lerner) to submit an idea to this website.
    The october 20th deadline is quite soon and if nobody reacts I might post a submission myself. (which may not be optimally formulated)
    Does anyone has a good 30-second youtube promo flic?

ailabs
    Participant

The best promo video is Eric Lerner’s Google Tech Talks video – I can create a 30 sec version of it with his permission / guidance.

Henning
    Participant

I’ve gathered some ideas fitting the application form. Some revision is needed before submission (which should be finally done by Eric), but it’s a starting point.

8. Your idea’s name (maximum 50 characters):
    Focus Fusion

9. Please select a category that best describes your idea.
    Energy: How can we help move the world toward safe, clean, inexpensive energy?

10. What one sentence best describes your idea? (maximum 150 characters)
    A cheap fusion device (USD 300000 per 10 MW unit in mass-production) converting alpha-particles and x-rays to electricity directly.

11. Describe your idea in more depth. (maximum 300 words)
    Using a device called Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) temperature of 2 billion °C has been reached at Texas A&M University, where for an optimal fusing of Boron-11 and Hydrogen-1, which yields alpha-particles (Helium-4) and x-rays, a temperature of 4 billion °C is required. This temperature should be within reach of today’s technology, using stronger capacitors and faster switches. A DPF accelerates plasma with the help of very high currents, and at the end the plasma “pinches” within a tiny spot, fusing the fuel. The fusion results in x-rays a directed beam of Helium-4 ions, which is used to directly induce electricity into a coil. The x-rays are converted by a photovoltaic shell surrounding the device. The whole procedure is pulsed, and is repeated about 1000 times per second. See also focusfusion.org and patent application US 2007/0201598 A1 (Lerner & Blake).

12. What problem or issue does your idea address? (maximum 150 words)
    Energy production and pollution. Boron-11 is abundantly available, requiring a few kg per MW per year. The “exhaust” is Helium-4 with minimal contamination of other elements, some are radioactive but will decay back to background radiation within a day. The more than thousandfold more expensive ITER fusion project utilizes a much more difficult to handle fuel Tritium and Deuterium (Hydrogen-2 and Hydrogen-3).

13. If your idea were to become a reality, who would benefit the most and how? (maximum 150 words)
    Whole humanity because of broadly available energy sources and less pollution, especially greenhouse gasses.

14. What are the initial steps required to get this idea off the ground? (maximum 150 words)
    Construction of a proof of concept device (costs < USD 1Mio).

15. Describe the optimal outcome should your idea be selected and successfully implemented. How would you measure it? (maximum 150 words)
    Proof of energy net production, and with further funding availability of a 5 MW prototype generator (about USD 10Mio). Measuring the coil’s induction energy and x-ray energy, it should outperform the energy put in, leaving room for conversion losses of x-rays. Converting x-rays to electricity is actually easier than converting infrared or visible light, but not very well researched [Eric: please confirm].

Maybe a narrated version of Torulf’s DPF animation would fit better the 30 seconds video, including a mentioning of a unit’s price and the 2 billion degrees C reached. Remember it does not need to include all facts already mentioned in the textual part, because of its supplemental nature.

Please take a more detailed look at the idea’s description, as it is not complete (for example missing the magnetic field effect), or should be rewritten.

ailabs
    Participant

Thank you for your effort! 🙂

I think Eric Lerner or someone from his staff is the right person to fine-tune it and to decide about the video.

belbear42
    Participant

only 5 days to go before the Google 10^100 deadline!

Has anything been submitted?

ailabs
    Participant

Not that I know of :coolsmirk:

Yes, yes, we’re putting something together. Just in under the wire. I suppose it’s a bit late to ask you to whip a 30 second youtube video together? I like the idea of Torulf’s storyboard with a sound track.

ailabs
    Participant

Sent to Aaron the 30 second video this morning (10/19), composed from Eric’s presentation. Storyboards/slides don’t have emotional charge. Your entry will be shown/voted on by millions of mostly non/semi-technical people you can only reach emotionally. Also, you can only introduce and “pound in” one idea effectively in 30 seconds, so I’ve chosen:

Focus Fusion: The Fastest Route to Cheap Clean Energy

and the “how:” It concentrates energy to produce fusion. (I know this is a simplification of a simplification).

Trust this is helpful!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.