The Focus Fusion Society Forums Spreading the Word good video/audio equipment suggestions

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Lerner
    Participant

We badly need better quality video equipment, especially that can give professional quality audio. While our last big video was a hit, but there were lots of complaints about sound quality. No one here knows much about this equipment and what we should buy and we are overbooked so don’t have time for research.. Are any of you familiar with this equipment or should I post this to the forum?

benf
    Participant

Eric, did your team ever get a hold of a lapel microphone? It’s formal name is a lavelier microphone and they are wireless these days. This device is what is commonly used for TV/stage production. Ideally you have a camera that can adjust the balance between the lapel mic and the separate audience mic, so you can hear attendees ask questions but not the squeaky chairs. I could probably improve some of the audio of your New York Center for Economic & Environmental Partnership presentation video through software editing, but there’s one part that you would need to re-record the audio of you speaking and splice it in. This can be done seemlessly.

Lerner
    Participant

Yes, this is what we want–a combination of mike and video camera that will work well and won’t cost and arm and a leg. But some mikes are only compatible with some cameras so it gets complicated. Can you suggest specific products?

benf
    Participant

Here are some suggestions…you already have a video camera so you can either run a separate microphone into it (assuming it has a mic line in). If the camera doesn’t have a way to balance microphone strength your better option would be to use a portable digital recorder. It has it’s own stereo mic attached. You then can feed a lapel mic into it, for the presenter. Then optionally you can use the hand held microphone on a stand for audience members to ask questions with.

The recorder is also a mixer, so you can have the built in stereo mic of the recorder set low for ambient room noise, the lapel mic volume up for the presenter, you keep the audience attendee’s mic turned low or off until they ask questions. Yes you need to be sure it’s all compatible so it’s probably best to go to a camera/video store where people can get you squared away with your current camera. Higher end video cameras have a lot of audio capabilities but they’re expensive and complicated, not necessarily as versatile for different sound options.

You load the files from the portable digital recorder into your computer video editing software and match the audio sequence with the video clips. It’s a drag and drop placement that’s fairly easy. It’s good to also record sound on your camcorder at the same time to make it easier to match up the audio files from the recorder.

Lerner
    Participant

No, we don’t have camcorder–we’ve borrowed in the past, but we need to get one. So what we are looking for is a good pair of camcorder and high-quality lapel mike. In your suggestionI don’t see how you could get synchronization between audio and video if they are recorded on separate machines.

benf
    Participant

Consumer camcorders produce very acceptable video these days but don’t give you much if any audio control. Prosumer camcorders run around a thousand dollars or more (new) and even they don’t have all the audio controls or features of a dedicated portable digital recorder (PDR). Professional video cams cost thousands and do have a lot of the options. Trust me, if you have video editing software on a computer like Adobe Premiere (which I believe you have), it’s easy to sync the files up. You have the ability to line up visually the audio waveform of the portable file with the audio from the video camera and once it’s lined up you turn off the video camera audio clip. I think Ivana knows how to do this.

Alternatively, you can always look into renting higher end equipment and then hopefully you’ll get advice on equipment features…Those cameras can be daunting to use especially if you don’t film all day every day….I’d say to buy or continue borrowing the consumer camcorder and sync the audio from the recorder. Maybe borrow the camera again and see if you can rent the PDR and try it out with the lapel mic?

benf
    Participant

Here’s another option if you decide to use a DSLR for video.

jamesr
    Participant

The other thing I’d suggest is a good pair of closed back headphones for the operator to wear. So they are listening to what the mic(s) are actually picking up – not the ambient sound in the room. It then becomes obvious is a fridge motor, AC unit, plane overhead etc is adding unnecessary background noise. Also watch the audio level meters (most cameras have an option to show them as an overlay).

It’s not worth paying over the odds for ‘prosumer’ lapel mics, anything ending in an unbalanced 3.5mm mini-jack is limited in quality. Only if your recording device has balanced XLR inputs can the quality of a better mic (&preamp;) be noticed. A cheap $20 mic will be easily good enough for recording a piece to camera in a closed room with little background noise if used properly.

So if you’ve got a $200 budget spend $150 of it on the headphones and only $50 on the mic!

Even the best kit will give appalling sound quality if you don’t set it up properly, and most common mistakes can be picked up just by listening while you’re recording.

benf
    Participant

Good points James. Headphones that enclose the ears let you evaluate the sound with a lot more precision.

Patientman
    Participant

Lerner wrote: I don’t see how you could get synchronization between audio and video if they are recorded on separate machines.

A software package such as Adobe Premier or Final cut (look and work the same) will allow you to sync up video and sound. You can also keep the camcorder on the presentation/screen more than the speaker, then you do not have to worry about precision of the lip sync. Some lapel systems have a plug that will go into the camcorder. You would need to look for this feature in both.

I have professionally recorded, edited and everything else to do with video production that can be done. I no longer do it, because just about anyone can going out and getting a camera, and there is no way to make a living at it. The sound and lighting of good quality video production is always difficult. Standards of quality go up, the more you do it. It is almost like fine tuning a focus fusion device. 🙂

My suggestion: Make a presentation video that is precisely written, edited and ready to go. Show the video of the presentation to your audience (7 to 10 min), then answer questions based on the video. Record the Q & A portion. Next time you make a video presentation Put the anticipated questions in to the video as answers. It is called clarifying the message each time. Repeat the process until it is perfect (sort of).

By creating a video of the presentation, you gain precision in your message. Owning the software and equipment, you can update it on a regular basis.

Patientman
    Participant

Olympus – Digital Voice Recorder

Model: DM-620
    SKU: 2506298
    Customer Rating:
    5.0 (1 customer review) $149.00

Anything that is recorded on this voice recorder can be synchronized with video. I have the software to do it. A good digital camcorder with sound will help to get the lips in sync. You drop the sound from the camcorder and use the pocket recorder sound instead. Send me the cd/DVD and I can put them together.

Lerner
    Participant

Thanks, we jsut bought this and the recommended mike.

Patientman
    Participant

Do you mean a camcorder and recommended microphone? Either way, that is great.

TimTruett
    Participant

Try going to your local public access TV channel. You may be able to actually use their equipment. That is the case where I live. The equipment is of very high quality (e.g., a portable camera that costs $8,000).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.