The Focus Fusion Society Forums Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Science and Applications FYI – something about how heat can be confined

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mchargue
    Participant

Not sure if it’s applicable, but perhaps the same information might be useful/applicable to a DPF?

—–
    The new experiments have revealed a set of operating parameters for the reactor — a so-called “mode” of operation — that may provide a solution to a longstanding operational problem: How to keep heat tightly confined within the hot charged gas (called plasma) inside the reactor, while allowing contaminating particles, which can interfere with the fusion reaction, to escape and be removed from the chamber.
    —–
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-12-fusion-power-mit-advance-contaminants.html

Aeronaut
    Participant

Definitely worth reading- lots of tidbits about design and funding of fusion projects. I don’t see a direct link, since FoFu’s designed to always work in pulse mode, and the magnetic fields are designed for one mode only. Maybe some of the details of their cleaner could apply…

mchargue
    Participant

Upon reading the article, something that stood out was their theory (apparently empirically proven) that heat & particles contained in the field were not related with one another, and could be treated (confined) separately.

Given that, I wondered if there was some way of employing this understanding to enhance the heat retention in a DPF. For myself, I think not. I think the two reactors work too differently from one another, but I thought I’d bring it up anyway.

And, as you noted, it is an interesting article.

Pat

Aeronaut
    Participant

The only place we want to retain heat is in the plasmoid. Anywhere else in the system, its a liability, slowing the maximum PRF.

mchargue
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote: The only place we want to retain heat is in the plasmoid. Anywhere else in the system, its a liability, slowing the maximum PRF.

True, but from what I read, the heat is maintained inside the magnetic field that contains the plasma. That would be the plasmoid in the case of the DPF, if the technique were applicable to the DPF. As I see it, the largest difference is that the other plasma system uses a (more) static magnetic field, and that may make the technique a non-starter for the DPF – which uses a decidedly non-static field. Still, I thought it worthy of mention so that those who understand the DPF better could evaluate its potential. (if any)

People like you.

Pat

Aeronaut
    Participant

mchargue wrote:

The only place we want to retain heat is in the plasmoid. Anywhere else in the system, its a liability, slowing the maximum PRF.

True, but from what I read, the heat is maintained inside the magnetic field that contains the plasma. That would be the plasmoid in the case of the DPF, if the technique were applicable to the DPF. As I see it, the largest difference is that the other plasma system uses a (more) static magnetic field, and that may make the technique a non-starter for the DPF – which uses a decidedly non-static field. Still, I thought it worthy of mention so that those who understand the DPF better could evaluate its potential. (if any)

People like you.

Pat

Thanx, Pat. I do enjoy learning about new ways of solving or advancing tokamak-related challenges. Gives me hope for that architecture.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.