Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rezwan
    Participant

A friend of mine was telling me about a cool project they had over at Ridewise – a ridesharing pledge. People pledged to do something to cut down on traffic congestion – either carpooling, or walking, or just not going places and hanging out with family on the front porch.

People who took the pledge kept track of their actions and reported back at the end how many traffic miles were saved.

Could we do some similar pledge around fusion? Although this won’t be as finite as the traffic pledge (that had a time limit of a few months). This would be more like taking a vow to do or not do something, until we have practical fusion energy. Or, perhaps, until we have ignition.

The pledge should be something you want to do, but require a push, something that’s good for the environment, for the energy picture, for poverty, whatever you choose. Something which the availability of fusion energy may make unnecessary, but for now it’s vitally important to develop those habits. (Although, in the case of Ridewise, it doesn’t even need to have anything to do with global warming – the other issue is traffic congestion which is slated to increase 25% in NJ in a very short time. YIKES!)

So – does anyone have any ideas about how to set up a pledge? Or does anyone want to take a stab at making pledges?

An example:

Until some (any) fusion research project achieves ignition, I vow to plant a tree every week/month/hour.

willit
    Participant

somebody needs to go first….. I pledge to bring fusion to the discussion (primarily focus fusion) every time someone is talking about: wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, hydroelectric, nuclear, hydrogen, corn ethanol, peak oil, fracking, gas prices, electric bills, gas bills, smog, water desalinization, space travel……..

Rezwan
    Participant

Bravo! You’re my hero!

Brian H
    Participant

Thinking … a number of funny replies occur to me (“Recycle my breadcrumbs and save the wheat!”) , but nothing pertinent yet. I’ll sleep on it.

Oh, willit, I’ve been meaning to ask you the meaning of your sig line. I can’t quite make sense of it. “Contemplate on the weak link or pull the chain.” ??
    WUWT?

vansig
    Participant

willit wrote: somebody needs to go first….. I pledge to bring fusion to the discussion (primarily focus fusion) every time someone is talking about: wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, hydroelectric, nuclear, hydrogen, corn ethanol, peak oil, fracking, gas prices, electric bills, gas bills, smog, water desalinization, space travel……..

what i good idea!
    i did this today.

Rezwan
    Participant

Great! I have just facebook/tweeted about you!

Brian H
    Participant

vansig wrote:

somebody needs to go first….. I pledge to bring fusion to the discussion (primarily focus fusion) every time someone is talking about: wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, hydroelectric, nuclear, hydrogen, corn ethanol, peak oil, fracking, gas prices, electric bills, gas bills, smog, water desalinization, space travel……..

what i good idea!
    i did this today.

As a minimum pledge, I will continue to do all the above. To avoid being seen as a Thread-Bomber (someone who drones on with the same message time after time)–which would result in being systematically ignored–I will pay close attention to the details of the discussion, and keep my comments relevant to the POV and vocabulary of the site or discussion.

[Unless I get too ticked off and pour vitriol and scorn on those urging a return to hand-labour to save the Earth! That’s a hot button …] :coolmad:

P.S. I will keep a sharp lookout for Qualified Investors!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.