Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ivy Matt
    Participant

There’s been some chatter on the Talk Polywell forums lately about a new patent application assigned to FPGeneration, a small company located in Massachusetts. I became aware of this company and its concept, called MIX (Multi-pole Ion beam Experiment), about a year ago, but their website was basically empty. Now, perhaps because of the recent interest demonstrated on Talk Polywell, FPGeneration has revamped its website. In the past year they’ve found shortcomings with their MIX device and moved on to a newer iteration of their technology, which they call MARBLE (Multiple Ambipolar Recirculating Beam Line Experiment). Unfortunately for them, it seems their investors are losing patience, and they may be without funds shortly. However, they have a number of applications besides fusion power that they are considering. They appear to be focused on the D-D and D-T fusion reactions, so I didn’t put this in the aneutronic section. Also of note, one of the principals in the company worked at EMC2 with Dr. Bussard.

Joseph Chikva
    Participant

Please, don’t beat me painfully 🙂
    But I am skeptical to IEC Method.
    At their website is written:

One of the major obstacles that limits the fusion output in IEC devices is the result of repulsive electrostatic forces arising from the ions themselves.

I know one more limitation called “two-stream instability” created as a result of collective interaction mainly between two electron streams with different arranged velocities. And as I know in IEC Method the electron beam/beams (non-zero arranged velocity) for creation of potential well is used and also there is a cloud of electrons with thermal velocities (zero arrange velocity).

But if they reached as they declare on a few orders higher current density for ions sources (guns) it would be useful in many other applications including fusion. But fusion by another Method – not IEC.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.