The Focus Fusion Society Forums Financing Fusion Forget About The Big Fish

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Aeronaut
    Participant

This fits equally well on all 3 of these forums, but what the hey. Gotta post this somewhere.

Whales grow huge by eating plankton.

Consider what would happen if we were to get roughly 2,500 public and private universities in the US alone to shake their alumni down to raise $1M/yr expressed as (1,000) $1,000 contributions on average? One year from now, the NRC would have to hire a lot of people to handle at least 2,500 applications for research reactors. This would begin the experience database required for FAA style type certification, which would be required for an Aneutronic Fusion licensing category.

2,500 universities shaking down their alumni would reach the world’s movers and shakers, as well as the future Bill Gates and Dave Thomas’s, as ~250,000 physics and engineering students who stand to benefit in terms of documented experience spread the buzz to at least 25 million people. This is authentic BUZZ. Anybody with a Master’s degree will get pitched several times, for instance.

The base rationale could extend from the need to suspend disbelief, like we all do every time we watch a movie. “Assume it works on or ahead of schedule before the end of 2011, will we be ready to duplicate that machine or lead the world’s R&D?”. Due diligence for any type of business risk, such as a new product line or new location, costs a lot more than $1,000. And after investing that time and money, the decision is still a crap shoot. So $1,000 is a no-brainer when your alma mater comes calling, yet again.

2 years from now, just in time for the 2012 Presidential election cycle, the whole world, including Wall Street, will want to know when they can put at least one aneutronic fusion heater and/or CH&P (combined heat and power plant) in each of their commercial building(s). The FF markets and supply/training chains will have been exhaustively analyzed, and many IPOs will have already been floated for the toolmakers, if not a lot of the key components’ market niches.

Need I say more?

The trickiest part is now how to co-ordinate 2,500 experimental programs to get the most bang for the buck. This begs for a research license of say $1,000 per school, and who knows how many non-exclusive production licenses.

Rezwan
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote: One year from now, the NRC would have to hire a lot of people to handle at least 2,500 applications for research reactors. This would begin the experience database required for FAA style type certification, which would be required for an Aneutronic Fusion licensing category.

Glad to see your enthusiasm! Rushing it a bit, don’t you think? They’ve got to get it to work, first – actually, prove the concept first – then another several years for a prototype.

And to get it to work, they’ve got to make sure they have enough funding now, and can get through these current obstacles. Quite a bit of homework and nitty gritty to focus on now before we bring in the licensing lawyers!

2,500 universities shaking down their alumni would reach the world’s movers and shakers, as well as the future Bill Gates and Dave Thomas’s, as ~250,000 physics and engineering students who stand to benefit in terms of documented experience spread the buzz to at least 25 million people.

How easy is it to get 2,500 universities to shake down their alumni? Why wait for future Bill Gates, when you can probably get a pitch in to the present Bill much easier than shaking down 2,500 universities?

I’m getting the sense you’re more comfortable with a future, hypothetical world where everything works smoothly, than the present problematic world.

The base rationale could extend from the need to suspend disbelief, like we all do every time we watch a movie.

Watch out about suspending disbelief. This isn’t a movie. Suspend disbelief and get burned, and you lose goodwill. No need to appeal to wishful thinking. I’d rather have people on board that are up for the hard work, trial and error to get this done. And who will appreciate it for the miracle it is, if it works out really quickly.

Aneutronic fusion, folks. It sounds like you’re underestimating the challenge here.

Due diligence

Yes. Due diligence, which is still pending for phase I proof of concept. Due diligence in getting the research funds raised, getting the machine to fire like a charm, connecting the dots with other researchers for useful feedback, insights and suggestions, connecting the dots on the supply chain, publishing papers and getting peer review, systematically testing every facet of the machine.

It may be useful to take a step back here to think about the present challenges, and let the future take care of itself.

2 years from now…

Inshallah.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Rezwan wrote:

One year from now, the NRC would have to hire a lot of people to handle at least 2,500 applications for research reactors. This would begin the experience database required for FAA style type certification, which would be required for an Aneutronic Fusion licensing category.

Glad to see your enthusiasm! Rushing it a bit, don’t you think? They’ve got to get it to work, first – actually, prove the concept first – then another several years for a prototype.

And to get it to work, they’ve got to make sure they have enough funding now, and can get through these current obstacles. Quite a bit of homework and nitty gritty to focus on now before we bring in the licensing lawyers!

2,500 universities shaking down their alumni would reach the world’s movers and shakers, as well as the future Bill Gates and Dave Thomas’s, as ~250,000 physics and engineering students who stand to benefit in terms of documented experience spread the buzz to at least 25 million people.

How easy is it to get 2,500 universities to shake down their alumni? Why wait for future Bill Gates, when you can probably get a pitch in to the present Bill much easier than shaking down 2,500 universities?

I’m getting the sense you’re more comfortable with a future, hypothetical world where everything works smoothly, than the present problematic world.

The base rationale could extend from the need to suspend disbelief, like we all do every time we watch a movie.

Watch out about suspending disbelief. This isn’t a movie. Suspend disbelief and get burned, and you lose goodwill. No need to appeal to wishful thinking. I’d rather have people on board that are up for the hard work, trial and error to get this done. And who will appreciate it for the miracle it is, if it works out really quickly.

Aneutronic fusion, folks. It sounds like you’re underestimating the challenge here.

Due diligence

Yes. Due diligence, which is still pending for phase I proof of concept. Due diligence in getting the research funds raised, getting the machine to fire like a charm, connecting the dots with other researchers for useful feedback, insights and suggestions, connecting the dots on the supply chain, publishing papers and getting peer review, systematically testing every facet of the machine.

It may be useful to take a step back here to think about the present challenges, and let the future take care of itself.

2 years from now…

Inshallah.

Very well reasoned and spoken from the conventional wisdom point of view, Rezwan. I believe we need to move those problems from serial processing /critical path organization into a land-grab or gold rush mentality where school pride rides on proven scientific and engineering prowess that is only a current world record for (onion) power density.

My high school library’s foyer had a bust of John F. Kennedy, with the inscription “Some men see things as they are and ask Why?. I see things as they are not and ask Why Not?”. I was around 6 years old when he made that speech and the one committing America to winning the race to the moon. And I miss that type of leadership. Especially after handing Canada the gold medal in hockey for no reason other than lacking the sustained will to win.

I just rewrote http://energymadecleanly.com to galvanize public action at all levels. Note the implied threat that if we don’t aggressively pursue this and require it to happen, some heads-up country will. 😉

My future world looks a lot rosier given a heads-up government is elected in the 2010 and 2012 elections. Ever see the Bill Gates cartoon right after Episode 1 came out, showing his shadow as the Winders logo? Remember, just last week we proved that it would have been a lot easier to get 5 minutes of his time 30 years ago. I subscribe to Inc magazine, by the way, which is about the people who don’t have time to wallow in headlines about how tough it is in the business as usual world- these people are growing companies and hiring people.

The first beneficiaries of having at least 2,500 universities competing for onion prizes is going to be the toolmakers, who will in turn be noticed by Wall Street, as if $2.5G flowing into the university system is going to go unnoticed. 2,500 FF-1 clones will deliver a resounding Hell Yes It Works!. I see unity as when, not if.

The licenses fund LPP’s lead research, since the vast majority of the world seems unable or unwilling to transcend their teachers and create their own masterpieces. Maybe this went out of style when WW2 transformed American workplaces from job shops into true mass production.

Are you sure you’re not over-estimating the challenges? This is Eric and Aaron’s third scaling test. The one that’s designed to at least achieve unity. I got nothing to lose by betting on the future, and I’m sure over 90% of America feels the same way, given asset erosion, if not outright theft.

Later, gator. Got 2 links to nowhere that need written :coolsmile:

Aeronaut
    Participant

Just posted the detailed planning page. As you’ll see, the only clear-cut critical paths are political in nature. looks like you’ve been busy too, Rezwan.

Henning
    Participant
    Aeronaut
    Participant

Henning wrote: Aeronaut, your idea is on earthtimes.org: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/edisons-idea-factory-to-ignite,1226053.shtml

Found this via Talk-Polywell.

Cool deal. MSimon posted part of my press release. 🙂 The next week or few should be interesting as it ripples out through various interactions. It’s getting read all over Germany, btw.

Aeronaut
    Participant
    vansig
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote: 2 years from now, just in time for the 2012 Presidential election cycle, the whole world, including Wall Street, will want to know when they can put at least one aneutronic fusion heater and/or CH&P (combined heat and power plant) in each of their commercial building(s). The FF markets and supply/training chains will have been exhaustively analyzed, and many IPOs will have already been floated for the toolmakers, if not a lot of the key components’ market niches.

did you say 2012? here’s what DOE has, on that..

http://www.countercurrents.org/arguimbau230410.htm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.