Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    FEBA
    Participant

As they are the main problems in the development of a focus fusion reactor ?

Do you mean to ask “what are the main problems in the development…?”

FEBA
    Participant

I want to ask: What are the main problems in the development focus fusion reactor ?

Axil
    Participant

This post is a design suggestion for a possible improvement to the focus fusion reactor. The erosion rate of the beryllium central electrode is a limiting factor in the availability of the reactor. The reactor design should minimize frequent electrode replacement. One way to slow that erosion in the central electrode is to configure it so that the walls of the central electrode forms a heat pipe using lithium to remove heat from the hot plasma generation section at the tip of the electrode to a cold heat sink at the rear of the reactor. Such a lithium heat pipe has the heat conductivity of 1000 times that of pure copper and can remove heat at a rate of 30 kilowatts per square centimeter. Since Lithium is the most x-ray transparent solid element, it will not interfere with the x ray dynamics of the reactor. This suggestion will also function for copper electrodes.

Lerner
    Participant

I assume you are talking about liquid lithium? It’s a possiblity if helium turns out to be inadequate as a coolant, but it is very corrosive and I would think any lithium colling system will cost a lot more than a helium system.

Axil
    Participant

Lerner wrote: I assume you are talking about liquid lithium? It’s a possiblity if helium turns out to be inadequate as a coolant, but it is very corrosive and I would think any lithium colling system will cost a lot more than a helium system.

Sorry for not giving you the web reference right off. Here it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

Also see

http://www.cheresources.com/htpipes.shtml

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.