The Focus Fusion Society Forums Official Announcements FFS Seeking Board Members

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rezwan
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

We’re looking for a few good board members. We’ve put an ad up on Bridgestar. Note that being a board member of a nonprofit is an unpaid position.

For more information on why we need a board, try this article: Why Do You Need A Board?.

For information on the basic responsibilities of nonprofit boards, check out http://www.michaeldavidson.biz and particularly his well written Board Tool Kit.

Current members of the Focus Fusion Society are eligible to become board members. We currently have the minimum 3 board members required by law, but two of them are stepping down soon and need to be replaced. Also, our governing structure is not well developed – we’re a loose membership organization, evolving.

Breakable
    Keymaster

How are the meetings organised: online or real world?
    Can you tell us what kind of issues FFS board members used to deal with?

Rezwan
    Participant

Depends on who ends up on the board. Probably online. Once in a while, a face to face meeting would be advisable. I think travel costs for an annual meeting could be provided.

The current FFS board so far hasn’t dealt with anything. They’ve been placeholders who give advice.

The board will help develop the organization, give it a higher profile, help with fundraising, enable it to become a serious contender in the realm of fusions policy. It will help prioritize, and help ensure that we have the resources to carry out programs. As it is, we’re a loose membership organization that has cool conversations on a website and documents LPP as they conduct experiments. A lot of the things we’ve talked about can be turned into actionable projects, but we need a stronger organization and resources to push that through.

Foundations don’t give money to organizations without a strong board.

jamesr
    Participant

Do board members need to be US citizens for the charitable status?

Rezwan
    Participant

Not sure. Will have to check.
    Per this website about visas,

B-1 Visitors for Business – Specifically Permitted Activities Listed in the FAM
    N6.2.– Members of Board of Directors of U.S. Corporation.

An alien who is a member of the board of directors of a U.S. corporation seeking to enter the United States to attend a meeting of the board or to perform other functions resulting from membership on the board.

This suggests that aliens can thus be members of boards of directors of US corporations.

Any real lawyers out there can weigh in!

Breakable
    Keymaster

What about spreading this message a little further?
    While I am all for limiting board member to the current FFS active members,
    maybe attracting new members and involving them is also a good idea.
    Is it not part of the “Fall Call for Support” action?
    PS:I am considering to apply, but I am very busy as is. Anyone else thinking that as well?

Rezwan
    Participant

Breakable wrote: What about spreading this message a little further?
    While I am all for limiting board member to the current FFS active members,
    maybe attracting new members and involving them is also a good idea.
    Is it not part of the “Fall Call for Support” action?

Actually, I didn’t post this on the notice that went out to everyone. I shall do so in the next email. I will also list other activities people can get involved in.

I was also going outside FFS for board members. This is why I posted it in the bridgestar website. Generally, nonprofit organizations try to get people of good reputation or means to be on their boards. This helps with funding, as foundations and grantmakers first look at your board to see if they know anyone on it. Kind of a big club thing. Very much about the network.

Of course, external candidates would have to become members before being elected to the board. And we have to have a clearer idea of their role.

PS:I am considering to apply, but I am very busy as is. Anyone else thinking that as well?

Busy people are the best! : )

Breakable
    Keymaster

Any updates on this topic?
    I am basically waiting for:
    1)Public invitation for everyone
    2)A deadline
    3)Rules for application

Rezwan
    Participant

Hello Breakable – I shall issue a public invitation in the upcoming newsletter. In the meantime, I have updated the job description of an FFS board member.

As for application procedure, anyone interested in taking on the awesome responsibility of a board member should send me a note of interest. I’ll call a meeting of those interested – via webinar, and we’ll discuss it as a group and see how to proceed. I’d like at least 7 board members, and we have to have some sort of membership vote for the final selection since this is a group decision.

Breakable
    Keymaster

Thank you for your update Rezvan, I hope other people in this forum will also consider applying. I see a lot of smart and passionate members here.

Breakable
    Keymaster

I have sent my application, I hope future collaboration would bear some fruit!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.