The Focus Fusion Society Forums Plasma Cosmology and BBNH Evidence of magnetic fields is spacial gas cloud revealing new role

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mchargue
    Participant

In the book, BBNH, it was claimed that electric and magnetic fields were responsible for some of the large-scale structures seen in space. This article seems to acknowledge that, and back it with observation. Maybe the same will happen soon for electric fields? I’d like to see both borne out.

http://www.physorg.com/news181052057.html

Pat

pluto
    Participant

G’day

Electromagnetic fields are part and parcell of the workings of the universe small and large. They are prime in explaining supernova and galaxy evolution.

mchargue
    Participant

pluto wrote: G’day

Electromagnetic fields are part and parcell of the workings of the universe small and large. They are prime in explaining supernova and galaxy evolution.

I posted this, as it seemed to me that in the book, BBNH, Lerner was taking to task astrophysicists that explained the large-scale structure of the universe in terms of gravity alone; neglecting the participation of electric and magnetic fields.

I thought it interesting that an article came forward that quoted an ‘unexpected’ result when it came to the contribution of magnetic fields in defining the structure of gas clouds.

Pat

pluto
    Participant

G’day

I agree

Cosmology is an ecosystem of forces. You cannot leave one out and hope it will work.

tcg
    Participant

A few years ago I was able to chat with a professional astronomer who worked at Palomar, and I asked her why astrophysicists seemed to prefer to use the gravitational force to explain everything, neglecting electromagnetism. She acknowledged that the latter was 10 to the 43 times larger than the former and that 95% of the universe was in the form of plasma, and then she shrugged. “Gravity only has one aspect and works only in one direction. Electromagnetism has two aspects which interact with each other, and both can be positive or negative. It is just very difficult to model.” She then mentioned something about Occam’s razor, and we started talking about something else. It was clear that astronomers in general study very little Plasma Physics and try to take the easy way out in their theorizing.

pluto
    Participant

G’day

You may find this link interesting, please excuse the non explanation by me.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.1415
    Thin-shell wormholes from charged black holes in generalized dilaton-axion gravity

Authors: A. A. Usmani, F. Rahaman, Saibal Ray, Sk. A. Rakib, Z. Hasan, Peter K. F. Kuhfittig
    (Submitted on 9 Jan 2010)

Abstract: This paper discusses a new type of thin-shell wormhole constructed by applying the cut-and-paste technique to two copies of a charged black hole in generalized dilaton-axion gravity, which was inspired by low-energy string theory. After analyzing various aspects of this thin-shell wormhole, we discuss its stability to linearized spherically symmetric perturbations.

You may need to go to wiki for terms.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.