Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rezwan
    Participant

OK, some good ideas in this post on the Energy League and Brackets Campaign – but now to brainstorm how you would actually set up the energy “baseball cards”.

Death/TWH
    $/Q
    Jobs created…
    subsidy/TWH
    Value added (for example, solar panels that double as carports in parking lots)

What are the essential comparison items?

There are so many variables.

zapkitty
    Participant

Rezwan wrote:

Negative. As solar panels are not self-supporting and are unable to shield a car on their own then you must regard the panels as a burden on the actual carport itself.

Now then, if you park your Prius under an FF unit I can guarantee it will be safe from the hail 😉

Much more seriously: as the storms continuously ramp up in frequency and intensity the ability of a power system to regularly withstand storms that were once considered exceptional will become a serious limitation on system applicability.

edit: did I mention cheaply?

They either must be able to withstand the storms or be able to be repaired quickly, easily and [em]cheaply[/em].

[ADMIN: Note response to this post started new topic: Solar Panel Carport Mosaics]

zapkitty
    Participant

Brian H wrote:
    You must be anticipating serious cooling. That’s when storms ramp up: when the contrast between poles and tropics is at a maximum, the the polar gyres move towards the equator. I’d prefer warming; that produces calm, benign weather and climate.

And adding energy into a system that already has built-in temperature differentials? But you knew that…

Structures that extract energy from the environment will have to be built to handle the changes in the environment. Wind turbines can handle excessive gusts of wind fairly easily but solar is going to have to be built to handle hail that it would in the past have been regarded as an exceptional occurrence, either that or be built to be repaired/replaced cheaply.

Brian H
    Participant

Rezwan wrote: OK, some good ideas in this post on the Energy League and Brackets Campaign – but now to brainstorm how you would actually set up the energy “baseball cards”.

Death/TWH
    $/Q
    Jobs created…
    subsidy/TWH

What are the essential comparison items?

There are so many variables.

Yeah, that’s the kicker. The choice biases the results quite strongly. Argues for the simplest and most basic measure(s).

Also, the time lines. Brackets work when there are definitive cut-off decision points.

And seeding counts. Which gets paired against which to start? By random selection, a dice throw?

Rezwan
    Participant

Let’s start off easy, by just having “intra league” competition. Wind with wind (different manufactureres), solar with solar.

And don’t worry about the complexity of information required. We’re in expansion – brainstorming mode right now. Everything, to start with. We can distill later. Plus, people can handle it. Take a look at slide #77 from Sebastian’s slideshow here).

A screenshot which shows:

how the customized interfaces of a professional World of Warcraft looks like. Confusing as it may look to us newbies, every single stat displayed here is useful, immediate, real-time feedback on what is going on in the game right now and how you as a player might affect it to your advantage.

Attached files

Rezwan
    Participant

Slide #94 also points out how the same thing can be considered work (analyzing spreadsheets) or play, depending on the context.

So, yes, we want people to do real, challenging work, with real data and come up with ways for their team to beat the other team or to at least reach a personal best in league. (What is the ultimate solar energy source – how far can you take it, what value added features would work, how would you value them…)

Rezwan
    Participant

Note that the point isn’t to dismiss one energy source or another. After all, Games have been defined (in that very same slideshow) as “a voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles”. So if there’s an energy source you’re trying to eliminate, that’s not what we’re striving for here. We’re seeing how far we can go with each, and what the spread is like.

zapkitty
    Participant

Rezwan wrote: Note that the point isn’t to dismiss one energy source or another. After all, Games have been defined (in that very same slideshow) as “a voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles”. So if there’s an energy source you’re trying to eliminate, that’s not what we’re striving for here. We’re seeing how far we can go with each, and what the spread is like.

I understand such rules very well, “inveterate gamer” being one of my sordid character traits, and I have nothing against solar. Fusion will stand on its own merits easily enough given a level playing field.

I’m just pointing out the unmistakable fact that some of the conditions that affect all of the players, some of the “rules”, are changing and they are changing fast. And the changes do not affect all players equally.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.