The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe electric field of plasmoids

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    meemoe_uk
    Participant

How strong is strongest known electric field of a collapsing plasmoid?

Do collapsing plasmoids create stronger electric fields than that of the strongest pulse lasers?

Is it reasonable to set a goal of creating a plasmoid that will create an electric field stronger than the QED critical field? ( at which point virtual electron -positron pairs become real ) I think its something about 1.6E18 Volts/metre ? ( corrected 18th June )

I think if the QED critical field is reached then the mass-energy that comes into existence is not conserved, i.e. its mass-energy created out of nothing at no energy cost, and the energy required to make the electric field is not consumed by the creation of particle pairs but instead disperses into the surrounding environment as usual.
    I’ve read other people arguing that energy is conserved somehow even for such special quantum physics.

What do you think?

meemoe_uk
    Participant

This forum is pretty quiet compared to the others, or maybe no-one has bothered to measure the electric field of a decaying plasmoid?

So I’ll have a go at answering my own question, at least I’ll do a very rough estimate of the electric field of the decay of a plasmoid.

LLP are getting ( or aiming to get ) magnetic fields roughly around 3 giga gauss in strength in their plasmoids.

Faraday’s law is Electric field is proportional to change of magnetic field over time.

When a plasmoid pops, the magnetic field converts into a electric field.

How long does it take for a small plasmoid to collapse? 100 nanosecond? just guessing….

If E = M / t
    then
    E = 3*10^9 / 100*10^-9 = 3*10^16 Volts per metre

This electric field is close to the critical quantum field which is 1.6*10^18 Volts per meter.
    It would only take the collapse of a 1 magnitude smaller, denser plasmoid than what LLP is currently aiming for to create the quantum critical field, therefore allowing virtual particles to become real at no energy cost.

The quantum energy density of the vacuum is speculated to be ultra high, I’ve seen it hypothesised to be up to around 10^90J per cm^3, although I expect its much lower than that.

LLP might get more than they expect as their plasmoids become smaller and denser.

If the big bang didn’t happen then what created all this matter I see in the universe? Collapsing plasmoids creating electric fields over the critical quantum field therefore allowing virtual particles to become real might be what.

Only me find this interesting?

mchargue
    Participant

I think it’s interesting, too. As the gradient of the electric field rises, it’ll be interesting to see what, if anything, pops out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.