The Focus Fusion Society Forums Innovative Confinement Concepts (ICC) and others Dumb question for Lerner on capacitor bank.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Duke Leto
    Participant

If I understand the DPF mechanism correctly, then each pulse is powered by the previous one through the capacitor bank. OK, maybe this is silly, but why bother storing most of it? Why not build two DPFs around the same decelerator, like three cylinders, the inner one’s pulse deceleration immediately providing the energy to start the pulse on the outer DPF? That way the two operate asynchronously in the same way as the pistons of an internal combustion engine.

This assumes that the absorbed photonic energy can get channeled into the system at a more or less constant rate, and that a single pair of capacitors.

Does that make sense and is it feasible?

(BTW, if this is patentable and you need it, don’t go running off with it. I have the puniest of lawyers but I’m very large and occasionally mean. 😀 )

(MOD: Please move this to the Plasma Focus subforum. Do’oh!)

Transmute
    Participant

The stored energy allows for conversion into the power grid. Second it allows varying the power output of the fusion reactor: a duel system must fire every few microseconds a max power output in order to keep running!

Duke Leto
    Participant

But the single system has to keep running by having several pulses every microsecond, right? Or am I missing something?

Transmute
    Participant

in the system each pulse is stored in the capacitors allowing the timing to be change for the next pulse from 100,000 to 1 pulse per sec. By changing the timing the total power output is variable to what ever the grid demands require of it, this is opposite to how conventional power plants work which are slow or less efficient at changing power output levels. No matter what you need capacitors to start the reactors I don

Duke Leto
    Participant

OK, I see.

So no chance of even reducing the required size of the capacitor bank? As emphasized before, I’m interested in space.

Transmute
    Participant

Most of the mass and space is taken up by the shielding, the capacitors are peanuts in comparison. Capacitors don

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.