The Focus Fusion Society Forums Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Science and Applications DPF for the Icarus Interstellar Spaceship project

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    vansig
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong; i do love the idea of using antimatter, it’s just that it seems a little technologically disproportionate, here.

Hmm…

What if a bulk condensate of spin-polarized positronium can absorb stably into a light metal, the way hydrides do?
    Let’s try using lithium, and keep it really cold.

Oh wait, those are Star Trek dilithium crystals! 😉

Rezwan
    Participant

Great site! Great project! We must show them support.

I see they missed their fundraising goal on IndieGoGo. We’ll have to be more alert to help promote their next endeavor.

Looks like a great project to build a coalition with.

Lerner
    Participant

Yes, I have to dig up my old calcuations. DPF should reach 1/3 c but it would be quite a big space ship.

Ferret
    Participant

zapkitty wrote: Hmmm… how about something less ambitious?

Let’s try powering a small commercial space station in LEO first.

There you can learn about whatever quirks lie within the system in a working environment of vacuum and microgravity… but you have auxiliary systems on hand in case of teething pains… and Earth is only an hour away by capsule if things go really south on you.

Attached is a rorschach test… see what you can make of it… I don’t see so well myself but everything should be in place…

This would be an interesting and useful application of DP devices. And it may work without fusion already. It will then have under-unity energy efficiency, but there may be some advantages compared to already applied systems: probably less weight (far lighter compared to classical chemical propulsion), the fact that it is fed with electricity produced on the ship, far less fuel required, thus less fuel weight…

Breakable
    Keymaster

If fusion (or other cheap/clean energy approach) does not succeed we can only a marginal space program.
    You cannot rationally be building huge space ships if most of your planets population is living below the level of poverty.

annodomini2
    Participant

Breakable wrote: If fusion (or other cheap/clean energy approach) does not succeed we can only a marginal space program.
    You cannot rationally be building huge space ships if most of your planets population is living below the level of poverty.

Since when did rationality come into a Politicians/Dictators mind?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.