The Focus Fusion Society Forums Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Science and Applications Direction of Emission of the three He ions after B-H fusion reaction.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MARK LOFTS
    Participant

Judging from Torulf’s representations, the three He ions should be emitted in the same plane, each at about 120 degrees from the other two. My query concerns whether the axiality of the He emission may actually be three dimensional i.e. that if one is emitted along the x-axis, the other two are emitted along y- and z-axes respectively.

Alternatively, could the three ions be emitted in the manner of beta-decay, one He ion relatively stationary and the other two flying off at 180 degress like an electron and a neutrino?

I make this point because of the compelling evidence that the nucleus of carbon, both N & Z – and by inference boron – is octahedral in form with paired nucleons (N & Z separately) along three axes at right angles to each other. The importance of this for the ion beam is that if one or more of the He ions is emitted at right angles to the ion beam, their may be a greater than expected tendency for energy ‘leakage’ in the direction that such ions are taking. This phenomenon may not be obvious however if the ions are not spin-aligned on a particular axis before fusion occurs – a situation I doubt however because the ‘shrinking vortices’ created by the plasma fusion process should align them axially. That is, like a galaxy, they should possess (magnetic) poles, and presumably, align their contents – B-11 & H-1 – accordingly.

Has this issue yet been considered – and could the nature of the X-ray emission be a guide to the direction of ion emissions?

Yours faithfully

Mark Lofts

Addendum on 26/6/07. Clearly it would not seem that three He ions could be shot out along, for example, each positive axis x, y, & z. This is because conservation of momentum would require a reciprocal action of the X-ray energy along the negative axes or a vector axis combining the three negative axes.

A further thought is that there may be a highly energized intermediate moiety, particularly Be-8 (4N, 4Z), emitted at 180 degrees to the first He ion then itself breaking up into two He ions, these perhaps at right angles to the direction of motion of the Be-8. Analysis of the X-ray output direction and magnitude may help to determine this situation since understanding the breakup of the B-11 + H fusion will clearly help to improve effective energy yields.

Again yours faithfully

Mark Lofts

Brian H
    Participant

Unless I am quite mistaken, the magnetic field effects dominate, and drive the ions out in the beam away from the cathode tube, and the electron beam back down the tube. Kinetic energy of the fission products is not significant, as the mass is rather trivial. Think charge and flux. Unlike other nuclear or fusion reactor/generators, this is not a heat engine.

jacques
    Participant

Hi
    It is my first post here 🙂
    I find this concept very interesting !
    But I have problem to see what experiment have been made with these devices, so I will start with my first question:
    Does the direction of emission of the helium ions been observed, or the devices didn’t achieved B-H fusion yet ?
    Thanks

Brian H
    Participant

B-H fusion is the last stage of research. He and D are being used now to tune the devices, as their characteristics and masses are about right, and the energy level can be ramped up to confirm that the temps required by B-H are possible. This has been done, and now design refinement is occurring prior to demonstrating B-H. The last stage will be using beryllium electrodes/cathodes which permit the X-rays to escape the chamber and be trapped/drained by the outer foil shell.

The direction is inherent in the magnetic plasmoid which finally implodes during the fusion event. It squirts out 2 beams in opposite directions, one of which is the He4+ beam.

jacques
    Participant

Thanks for your answer.
    Is it the reaction you tested?
    D + He 3 → He 4 (3.6 MeV) + H (14.7 MeV)

Did you observe an He4 and H ion beam ? and the electron beam in the opposite direction ?

Brian H
    Participant

Hey, I’m no part of the research team! I’m just summarizing info from elsewhere on the site here.

If you want the details of the project, here’s a reference page:

https://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/article/research_plan/
    “Once we are operating optimally with helium, we�ll introduce a small mixture of decaborane, a hydrogen-boron compound. At this point we will start to achieve fusion reactions with hydrogen-boron for the first time.

Finally, as we optimize conditions, we will step-by-step increase the hydrogen-boron in the mix until we are running with pure hydrogen-boron and achieving net energy production. “

maihem
    Participant

Brian H wrote: The direction is inherent in the magnetic plasmoid which finally implodes during the fusion event. It squirts out 2 beams in opposite directions, one of which is the He4+ beam.

So the reaction products are not ejected from the plasma in a beam as they are produced, but rather collect and heat the plasma delaying its collapse and encouraging more fuel to react? The heat of the plasma finally being reclaimed by the self-organising plasma matter converting its “heat” into kinetic energy of charged particles (a current) – which, of course, is all its heat is to begin with. Does the collapse of the plasma thus lose further energy as x-rays until it is at or below the carnot efficiency wrt the fusion energy or is the plasma matter organised enough that it is wrong to say that it is hot in the first place thus no extra loss need be expected?

Brian H
    Participant

maihem wrote:

The direction is inherent in the magnetic plasmoid which finally implodes during the fusion event. It squirts out 2 beams in opposite directions, one of which is the He4+ beam.

So the reaction products are not ejected from the plasma in a beam as they are produced, but rather collect and heat the plasma delaying its collapse and encouraging more fuel to react? The heat of the plasma finally being reclaimed by the self-organising plasma matter converting its “heat” into kinetic energy of charged particles (a current) – which, of course, is all its heat is to begin with. Does the collapse of the plasma thus lose further energy as x-rays until it is at or below the carnot efficiency wrt the fusion energy or is the plasma matter organised enough that it is wrong to say that it is hot in the first place thus no extra loss need be expected?

You should really be reading the technical papers and querying Eric, but my understanding is that the He4 ions are ejected in a beam, which passes through a solenoid to generate a new burst of current for the device. The electron beam heats the local plasma. The X-rays scatter and are stepped down to electric power in the shell.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.