Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    FrankOlson
    Participant

Aside from the “Onion” scheme to utilize x-rays, the others methods I’m reading about are to use an induction coil to harvest alpha particles, and a gyrotron-type scheme to utilize the electron beam – by turning it into microwaves? I don’t quite follow that, and I can’t find much information about it. Probably because I don’t know how to search for it. Also, if an alpha particle has a charge, why does it have to be a rodwosky coil instead of a regular solenoid induction coil? I read that it is used for measurements besides. For electricity conversion it could be used as a kind of “particle decelerator”, but wouldn’t a regular coil do the same thing for conversion?

Francisl
    Participant

You have to consider the direction of the magnetic field. An alpha particle beam passing lengthwise through the center of a solenoid is equivalent to an electric conductor running lengthwise through the center of a solenoid. The lines of the magnetic field surrounding the conductor run parallel to the windings of the solenoid. Each layer of windings in the solenoid are exposed to the same intensity of the magnetic field from one end of the coil to the other. There is no driving force to create a voltage difference and current flow.
    If you turn the solenoid perpendicular to the direction of the particle beam then you get a difference in the magnetic field from one end of the coil to the other end and that would cause a voltage difference and a current flow. The coils have to be designed to take into account the high speed pulses of the particle beam. Many such coils could surround the particle beam.
    Here is a link to a Rogowski coil.
    I think other variants would work too since this is a pulsed current. You just have to keep in mind the direction and intensity of the magnetic field as it changes with time.

FrankOlson
    Participant

That’s what I was thinking, but I wasn’t sure and I couldn’t find much for straight explanations – especially for a rogoski coil in this particular siutation/use. You explained it well, thanks for that.

FrankOlson
    Participant

Any thoughts about what’s to be done with the electron beam? Pardon my “yahoo answers” style questioning, but it’s some pretty thick gravy trying to sort through this stuff. I’ve been reading about magnetrons, klystrons and and inductive output tubes. That must be the trick – to turn the electron beam into microwaves somehow, and then pick up the microwaves with a rectenna?

zapkitty
    Participant

FrankOlson wrote: Any thoughts about what’s to be done with the electron beam??

When the plasmoid reaches FF-level operational density the electron beam isn’t expected to make it out of the plasmoid.

Instead it will expend its energy heating the plasmoid further and increasing the fusion rate .

Francisl
    Participant

Go to the LPP Executive Summary http://lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.com/lpp-executive-summary/ and the patent number included in that article. You will have to copy and paste the web link. The final method of direct conversion will be an engineering decision based on efficiency and cost.
    The units produce particle beams, x-rays and heat. These outputs can be used for other purposes than just making electricity.

Aleem
    Participant

Hello,
    Sir can you please give me some explanation of equations used in Snow-Plow model of plasma focus.I have attached the files, I want to know what these equations say, and how these were made. I know about basic theory,but when it comes to mathematical equations, its a lill tough,I would be very thamkful, if someone just give me a starting guideline.
    How equation(II) in 2nd file was made, and how can we elaborate the given R-L circuit…
    Similarly the equations in 1st file…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Aleem
    Participant

If someone can help, I will send him/her the required file via email.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.