The Focus Fusion Society Forums Aneutronic Fusion D-D fusion and the Gamma

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rimmini
    Participant

Maybe I am misreading this, but Aldo Rosa tells me in “Fundamentals of Renewable Energy Processes” (P.33) that D-D fusion is aneutronic. According to Rosa, the result of D-D fusion results in stable Helium 4 that must shed its energy by emitting gamma rays. As gamma are far more energetic than the x-rays emitted from p-B fusions, I was wondering if, theoretically of course, a pure deuterium plasma might be a better fuel for a theoretical over-unity DPF device?

Tulse
    Participant

Unless I’m profoundly mistaken, the D-D reaction has two equally-likely paths: an H3 nucleus and a proton, or a He3 nucleus and a neutron. As far as I know, D-D -> He4 is not a reaction that occurs with D-D; the secondary reaction of D with the H3 produced can generate He4, but it will also produce another neutron.

So in general, D-D fusion is not at all aneutronic.

ikanreed
    Participant

Are you sure you meant He3+proton? I mean, there’s a lot about subatomic reactions I don’t understand, but isn’t it t+proton?

Tulse
    Participant

ikanreed wrote: Are you sure you meant He3+proton? I mean, there’s a lot about subatomic reactions I don’t understand, but isn’t it t+proton?

No, I meant (and wrote) “H3 nucleus and a proton”, which is also “tritium and and proton”.

ikanreed
    Participant

Tulse wrote:

Are you sure you meant He3+proton? I mean, there’s a lot about subatomic reactions I don’t understand, but isn’t it t+proton?

No, I meant (and wrote) “H3 nucleus and a proton”, which is also “tritium and and proton”.

Oh, yeah, H3 not He3. Forgive me.

D-D fusion can be aneutronic when a third body is present like another atom. Momentum conservation requires two products so He-3 and n or p+H-3. There is a very rare reaction <1E-12% of the time that can lead to He-4+ gamma but it is not worth mentioning. The aneutronic D-D is one of the hopes of cold fusion folks. Evidence does not support that this reaction can favor the aneutronic branch in the presence of current materials or conditions that can be reproduced.

rimmini
    Participant

Yep, I misread the text. Just versed enough to ask questions just ignorant enough to ask them all. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.