Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tim1
    Participant

I can find lots of references to the voltage that the capacitors run at (45 KV,) but not much about the pulse shape (frequency spectrum) or the capacitance of the capacitors. (I found a chart that indicated that they were in the 2 digit micro-farad range, but I could not make out the numbers.)

I am trying to figure out the effects of inductance and skin effects of various parts.

Did I see the General Atomics part number somewhere?

Francisl
    Participant

Tim1 wrote: I can find lots of references to the voltage that the capacitors run at (45 KV,) but not much about the pulse shape (frequency spectrum) or the capacitance of the capacitors. (I found a chart that indicated that they were in the 2 digit micro-farad range, but I could not make out the numbers.)

I am trying to figure out the effects of inductance and skin effects of various parts.

Did I see the General Atomics part number somewhere?

Here is a link to previous information.

vansig
    Participant

if i recall correctly, total capacitance is around 120 microfarad, it is a capacitor bank, the caps must be pulse-rated, and 45 kV is on the low side of charge. if you’re sketching out plans for future, you’ll want up to 75 kV rated caps. the total current per pulse may reach 1 million amps for a microsecond or so, and rise time needs to be 25 ns or less.

also, the caps are mounted around a circle, onto a flat plate, with anode in the centre, to minimize parasitic inductance.
    25 ns rise time corresponds to a max frequency component of 20 MHz.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.