Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant

A comment recently posted on NatureNews:
    the maximum ideal Q is only 3 to 4 (as for p-11B), the electric power output is not much greater than the electric power input. When you include the non-plasma power drains such as vacuum pumping, coolant pumping, cryogenics, HVAC, etc., the power balance is negative.
    Comments?

Tim1
    Participant

Could you post a link to NatureNews so we can get some context. Also I don’t understand why there would be a maximum ideal Q. Wouldn’t higher Q always be better? I would expect people to talk about a minimum Q that will allow one to get back enough energy to power the next pulse in addition to provide a reasonable output. Focus Fusion has the ability to be viable at relatively low Q because it gets its energy back as electricity rather than heat so that it can avoid Carnot cycle losses.

Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant
    Tim1
    Participant

Thanks. The article covers most everyone except LPP as alternatives to the over priced IETR. LPP was mentioned in the comments. There was nothing that explained why Q should be limited in p-B11 fusion. Happily, it looks like Focus Fusion works with a Q of less than 2. If we got 3 or 4 things will be great.

Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant

That’s not much of a retort. What about the true energy balance?

vansig
    Participant

there are so many factors.

your basic p + B11 –> 3 alpha + 8.7 MeV is a lot of energy.
    the reaction needs at least 50 keV and is best at about 600 keV;
    a fraction of your plasma reacts in the pulse;
    you want your magnetic fields to be strong enough to inhibit bremsstrahlung losses (gigagauss fields);
    you want your exit beam to be tightly focused and heading in the right direction;
    you have to keep your plasma hot and your anode cool;
    and you have the energy transformation.

all these things need to be optimized systematically

Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant

vansig wrote: gigagauss fields

1 Gga = 100,000 Tesla! That wasn’t on the menu as far as I knew.

Tulse
    Participant
    Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant

It seems, therefore, that Focus Fusion will deliver between 200% and 300% of the input power, having discounted all sources of costs and losses in an industrial production context. Am I low or am I high with this estimate, and why? Indeed, has anyone taken the trouble to do a serious economic quantification of the cost benefits of Focus Fusion? One has to include, for example, the mundane cost of getting the boron on-site.

Does FF work better as a space drive than as a power station, and why?

Francisl
    Participant

A lot of the economic numbers that you are asking for will be gathered during the next 1 or 2 years of fusion experiments. The numbers that you have seen so far are based on current science and best estimates.

Andrew Palfreyman
    Participant

Yup. And clearly scale is a factor too. The higher the Q of a process, the more the absolute power margin and the smaller one can afford to scale it and still take care of the ancillaries.

Tulse
    Participant

Andrew Palfreyman wrote: has anyone taken the trouble to do a serious economic quantification of the cost benefits of Focus Fusion? One has to include, for example, the mundane cost of getting the boron on-site.

Right, but you also get to exclude standard power plant costs for things such as turbines and generators, along with all their associated overhead (e.g., extra staff, extra space, etc.).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.