The Focus Fusion Society Forums After Fusion Can a Focus Fusion rocket engine take us to the stars?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Brian H
    Participant

pluto wrote: G’day from the land of ozzzzzzz

Sail is the slow way to china.

Magnetic reconnection and the strorage of an ultra dense plasma matter in a magnetic confinement would be the ultimate power to go where no man has gone before, deep space far far away.

The attraction of sailing has always been the lack of propellant mass required. While the acceleration is low, it is constant and long-lasting, permitting high velocity over time, riding a laser or (e.g.) diffraction-lens-focussed beam.

I suspect that at human scale, “storage of ultra-dense plasma in magnetic confinement” is going to require more mass and power than can be managed. It is also inherently risky, as the failure of confinement leads to very nasty local effects.
    The genius of FF is that it uses natural magnetic effects and processes at sub-microscopic scales to achieve strongly positive energy payoffs, not hard-driven superconducting magnets. And the local dangers are minimal by comparison; there is some toxic gas (decaborane) involved, but no particular explosive potential to breach containment.

pluto
    Participant

G’day from the land of ozzzzzzzz

I remember in 1965 discussing the same topic on solar sails.

Its funny how this topic has not blown away.

Brian H
    Participant

pluto wrote: G’day from the land of ozzzzzzzz

I remember in 1965 discussing the same topic on solar sails.

Its funny how this topic has not blown away.

Are you making light of it? 🙂 ;-P

pluto
    Participant

G’day

What do you mean by making light?

Brian H
    Participant

pluto wrote: G’day

What do you mean by making light?

Groan. Explaining jokes is such a pain. The expression usually means, “Making little of”, or putting down. But since solar sails use light, it’s also a play on words/concepts. Get it yet? 8-/

pluto
    Participant

G’day from the land of ozzzzz

I assumed that is what you meant.

When I said we discussed solar sail back in 1965, we actually discussed them.

We also see them in movies and the like.

This does not mean I make light out of them, as so to speak.

Brian H
    Participant

pluto wrote: G’day from the land of ozzzzz

I assumed that is what you meant.

When I said we discussed solar sail back in 1965, we actually discussed them.

We also see them in movies and the like.

This does not mean I make light out of them, as so to speak.

😉 The expression is “make light of”, treat as insignificant. To “make light out of” would mean to transform into light waves and photons.

pluto
    Participant

G’day from the land of ozzzzzzz

I know.

pluto
    Participant

G’day from the land of ozzzzzz

I agree with you.

There are dangers.

Imagine if you could feeze it.

aquahead
    Participant

One possiblity is a carbide or graphite composite integrated in the beam exaughst port to give it a sort of heat sink and high density pressure resistance.

pluto
    Participant

G’day

How would that work?

aquahead
    Participant

From what I know graphite is a material that can withstand extremes in pressure where other materials would incinerate or become liquid. Instead of shattering, incinerating, or melting like most all materials a graphite and carbide could be Incorporated in a organic composite material that can sink the extreme heat and withstand the fluctuating pressure. The next step would be to redirect it.

pluto
    Participant

G’day

Research a bit on TOKAMAK

aquahead
    Participant

Thanks, will do.

aquahead
    Participant

Just thought I would throw this out there. It resembles project in the movie species III.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.