The Focus Fusion Society Forums Aneutronic Fusion Bussard and Jamesson list some aneutronic fuel combos…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    zapkitty
    Participant

“Inertial Electrostatic Fusion Propulsion Spectrum: Air-Breathing to Interstellar Flight” Robert W. Bussard and Lorin W. Jamesson, 1993, Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 365-372. (minor updates, December 2008)

H(p) and 11B
    6Li/7Li and 9Be
    3He and 3He
    3He and D

Ivy Matt
    Participant

After reading the article I’m not certain if they meant Li6/Li7+Be9, or if they meant p+Li6/Li7 and p+Be9. I kind of think it’s the latter. I’m not familiar with any fusion reaction involving Be9 as an input, but I am somewhat familiar with the p+Li6 and p+Li7 reactions. The former produces a He4 ion at 1.7 MeV and a He3 ion at 2.3 MeV, for a total of 4 MeV. The latter produces two He4 ions at a total of 17.2 MeV. Lately I’ve been wondering why p+B11 is seen as the “Holy Grail” of aneutronic fusion, and p+Li7 isn’t. There aren’t any downsides to p+Li7 as far as I can tell, and it should be easier for most confinement concepts to achieve.

zapkitty
    Participant

Ivy Matt wrote: After reading the article I’m not certain if they meant Li6/Li7+Be9, or if they meant p+Li6/Li7 and p+Be9. I kind of think it’s the latter. I’m not familiar with any fusion reaction involving Be9 as an input, but I am somewhat familiar with the p+Li6 and p+Li7 reactions. The former produces a He4 ion at 1.7 MeV and a He3 ion at 2.3 MeV, for a total of 4 MeV. The latter produces two He4 ions at a total of 17.2 MeV. Lately I’ve been wondering why p+B11 is seen as the “Holy Grail” of aneutronic fusion, and p+Li7 isn’t. There aren’t any downsides to p+Li7 as far as I can tell, and it should be easier for most confinement concepts to achieve.

Well, I’d squirreled that paper away for ideas and references (along with a lot of others) but had not paid attention to their aneutronic fuel list until I began reviewing my spaceplane assumptions. Then the “Be” registered… 🙂

I wonder what lithium compounds might be suitable, if any…

NoSmoke
    Participant

Ivy Matt wrote: After reading the article I’m not certain if they meant Li6/Li7+Be9, or if they meant p+Li6/Li7 and p+Be9. I kind of think it’s the latter. I’m not familiar with any fusion reaction involving Be9 as an input, but I am somewhat familiar with the p+Li6 and p+Li7 reactions. The former produces a He4 ion at 1.7 MeV and a He3 ion at 2.3 MeV, for a total of 4 MeV. The latter produces two He4 ions at a total of 17.2 MeV. Lately I’ve been wondering why p+B11 is seen as the “Holy Grail” of aneutronic fusion, and p+Li7 isn’t. There aren’t any downsides to p+Li7 as far as I can tell, and it should be easier for most confinement concepts to achieve.

Wiki has some info on that:

“Some reaction candidates can be eliminated at once. The D-6Li reaction has no advantage compared to p-11B because it is roughly as difficult to burn but produces substantially more neutrons through D-D side reactions.

There is also a p-7Li reaction, but the cross section is far too low, except possibly when Ti > 1 MeV, but at such high temperatures an endothermic, direct neutron-producing reaction also becomes very significant.

Finally there is also a p-9Be reaction, which is not only difficult to burn, but 9Be can be easily induced to split into two alpha particles and a neutron.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion

Ivy Matt
    Participant

The page on aneutronic fusion also mentions the low cross section of p+Li7 but, even though I check it from time to time for the list of fusion reactions, it’s been a while since I read it all the way through. Okay, boron it is, then.

However, I did look up lithium and its compounds. If lithium-7 were to be introduced into a DPF device the way LPP intends to introduce decaborane, lithium hydride (LiH) would be the obvious choice. However, it has a very high melting point and it reacts explosively with water. Sounds like decaborane is a better choice. And, if you don’t mind mixing reactions, there’s also lithium borohydride. Of course, if p+B11 has a better cross section, there’s no point in doing that.

malaga2022
    Participant

I thing there are two possible aneutronic reactions:

Li+P reaction: http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1918/pli6.jpg
    And 11B+P reaction: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/135/p11bu.jpg

As can be seen in the link:
    6Li+P reaction cross section is only 0.25 barns at 2MeV and remains over 0.1 barns in the 0.7-4.5MeV range
    11B+P reaction cross section goes up to 0.8 barns at 0.6MeV and remains over 0.1 barns in the 0.35-3MeV range (then gets neutronic through 11B+P->6C+N reaction)

The only problem for 6LiH is that it is impossible to buy it. Is easier buy 6LiD at 127$/10gr. It does not exists CAS number for it.
    Anybody knows where to buy it? I would need 5 grams only.

Attached files

jamesr
    Participant

Nice graphs.

Although at the temperatures achievable in any practical device only cross-section below 500keV incident energy is important. In particular for p-B11 it is the small resonance spike at 148keV that helps boost the overall reaction rate in the 10-100keV temperature range.

If you take these cross-section vs incident energy curves and average over a Maxwellian velocity distribution you get the more meaningful reaction-rate vs temperature graph.

Here is one from Wesson’s Tokamaks book which shows pB11 in comparison to DT DD etc, but doesn’t show all the Lithium reactions

Attached files

malaga2022
    Participant

I have seen the peak in the 550-750 keV range. It was used experimental data from Exfor database extracted from here:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/037594747990647X

Does plasma at focus fusion device fits Maxwell distribution under huge magnetic fields and extreme short pulse? I thought different speed for e, Li/B and P and helical non convergent movement

Attached files

malaga2022
    Participant

It exists another aneutronics: Lithium-6 borohydride: 6LiBH4, it is a metal with low melting point.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.