Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    annodomini2
    Participant

Reading recent reports on the possibility that boron under stupidly high pressure theoretically could become a room temperature superconductor.

Now obviously the temperatures in the reactor are much higher than room temperature and the pressures are probably no where near those required to achieve superconductivity, but given this knowledge could this effect be harnessed to lower the impedance of the plasma and reduce the power consumption required to achieve the reaction?

Apologies if this should be another forum.

annodomini2
    Participant

From the lack of response is my suggestion completely irrelevant?

AaronB
    Participant

“The underlying mechanism of boron’s superconductivity arises from its crystal structure under high pressure.”
    “At 160 gigapascals, they found that boron is a superconductor up to 6 kelvin.”

Thanks for the suggestion, but we will be working with an extremely hot hydrogen-boron plasma instead of a super-chilled solid chunk of boron. However, don’t let that discourage you from thinking outside of the box. That’s where all of the really interesting discoveries come from!

Tasmodevil44
    Participant

When thinking outside the box on all the ways to possibly improve the focus fusion device to make it work better, it seems a daunting challenge, because most ideas simply don’t ” pan – out “. When it comes to electrodes that can handle more amperage, scientists are still having a hard time finding a room temperature superconductor, much less a super hot superconductor. As for myself, I keep toying around with the idea of some kind of supplemental fuel additive to the hydroborane that might help to ” kick – start” p+B11 reaction at a lower temperature and pressure. But this idea seems to be running out of workable options also. BUT NEVER QUIT TRYING ! ! ! These very daunting challenges make science and physics all the more fun to try and solve.

Jerry
    Participant

Tasmodevil44 wrote: When thinking outside the box on all the ways to possibly improve the focus fusion device to make it work better, it seems a daunting challenge, because most ideas simply don’t ” pan – out “. When it comes to electrodes that can handle more amperage, scientists are still having a hard time finding a room temperature superconductor, much less a super hot superconductor. As for myself, I keep toying around with the idea of some kind of supplemental fuel additive to the hydroborane that might help to ” kick – start” p+B11 reaction at a lower temperature and pressure. But this idea seems to be running out of workable options also. BUT NEVER QUIT TRYING ! ! ! These very daunting challenges make science and physics all the more fun to try and solve.

What about adding a squirt of deuterium? Cheating, I know, But if you got FF working with deuterium, it would get attention. Also, the D-D reaction might add enough heat to set off the 11B reaction. So a mix.

Is there a way to achieve superconductivity in a plasma?

Breakable
    Keymaster

Jerry wrote:
    Is there a way to achieve superconductivity in a plasma?

Learning to teleport before knowing how to walk?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.