The Focus Fusion Society Forums Financing Fusion ARPA-E Fusion Workshop

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nakile
    Participant

Via Fusion Energy Leauge: “ARPA-E will host a workshop entitled ‘Drivers for Economical Fusion Technologies’ on October 29-30, 2013 in the San Francisco Bay Area of California.

-Identify and explore promising approaches/opportunities for fusion energy, understand their driver requirements (pressure, energy, flux, limitations on pulse width, etc.) and the associated challenges;

-Identify and explore promising approaches to low cost drivers (e.g., ion or macron accelerators, plasma guns, masers/lasers, pulse power, table-top/MEMS accelerators, or others) and assess applicability of new driver technologies to various regions of fusion parameter space;

-Assess current state of understanding for proposed fusion approaches across the range of fusion parameter space, and the needs for modeling or experimental validation to address key challenges;

Understand challenges in development and demonstration of driver technologies for the requirements of fusion power; and

Propose appropriate performance metrics to govern a potential Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) in this area.

Looks like a possible start in the right direction for some diversified fusion funding. What’s ARPA-Es track record so far?

benf
    Participant

Thanks for posting this announcement Nakile. I’m in the region and will try to attend (if I can pass the qualifications requirements). Thus far ARPA-E hasn’t been supportive, but as you say, this may be a step in the right direction.

nakile
    Participant

Benf, were you able to attend?

benf
    Participant

No afraid not. I tried but didn’t receive a response. If anyone has any info as to what transpired, please let us know.

benf
    Participant

FYI: info from the ARPA-E Fusion workshop has been updated.

Intro presentation

Workshop site

Nydoc
    Participant
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.