The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe Are There Any Other Writers in the Forum Using FF in Their Sci-Fi?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Graham Storrs
    Participant

I’ve had two novels published so far that use focus fusion prominently in the story (Timesplash and its sequel, True Path – both published by Pan Macmillan/Momentum). I’ve also used it in a couple of short stories. I’d love to say hi to any other writers here who have also envisioned a future in which FF plays a significant role.

Timesplash was a Kindle best-seller last year with tens of thousands of people picking up a copy. Oddly, not one reader has ever questioned the technology behind the “F2” generators that were widely used and frequently mentioned in the story.

Ivy Matt
    Participant

To my knowledge you’re the first author to publish a story in which the dense plasma focus device is used as an actual power source, but I could be way wrong about that. I started writing a story about a year ago that features dense plasma focus technology, but it remains unfinished so far.

I’d think readers of science fiction would readily accept fusion generators some forty years into the future. Compared to other sorts of futuristic technologies, I don’t think that’s much of a stretch. Then again, one could have said the same thing forty years ago.

Graham Storrs
    Participant

It’s a shame the story isn’t finished yet. It sounds interesting.

Actually, this forum has already been extremely useful for understanding the physical constraints on FF. Sadly I read the thread on the physical size of generators too late. My fist book has a 10KW generator down to the size of a filing cabinet by 2050!

Breakable
    Keymaster

Hi Graham,
    We really need someone to administer
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sci-Fi-for-Fusion
    Would you like some extra responsibility?

Graham Storrs
    Participant

Tempting, but I’ll pass. As a writer, the fewer sources of procrastination I have, the better! Besides, I hardly ever use facebook.

dennisp
    Participant

Graham that’s really cool. I just bought the Kindle edition of Timesplash.

You might be interested in Neal Stephenson’s new site Hieroglyph. A bunch of science fiction writers have congregated there with a focus on making science fiction optimistic again, and inspiring a new generation of engineers.

Coincidentally, just today I posted something on the site about my climatecolab fusion entry: http://hieroglyph.asu.edu/forums/topic/its-the-21st-century-wheres-my-fusion-reactor/

Ivy Matt
    Participant

Breakable wrote: Hi Graham,
    We really need someone to administer
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sci-Fi-for-Fusion
    Would you like some extra responsibility?

What happened to the page? Another victim of the purge?

Graham Storrs
    Participant

Wow, thanks, Dennis. That’s very kind of you.

I’ve heard of what the Heiroglyph guys are doing but that’s all – so I’m very glad to get the link.

I’ve just been to vote for your piece at Climate CoLab – which is a useful resource in itself. I hope it does a lot of awareness raising.

Cheers,

Graham.

dennisp
    Participant

Thanks for the vote. Timesplash was pretty good! Just purchased True Path.

Graham Storrs
    Participant

Now *that’s* bucked me up for the day. Thanks 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.