Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Alex Pollard
    Participant

I’d like to take issue with my automatic classification on this site as a “Newbie”. I’ve been a member since Oct 2006!

As to the classification of some as “Sr Member”, I’d like to point out that if this is based on the number of posts, it is possible to contribute a pile of verbose waffle and off-topic banter and presumably this all counts.

I’m not the most prolific or prolix of members, but I do read the forums pretty thoroughly on a near weekly basis, so I like to think my comments are at all times, at the very least, well-informed.

Can we have some change to this classification system?

Brian H
    Participant

Alex Pollard wrote: I’d like to take issue with my automatic classification on this site as a “Newbie”. I’ve been a member since Oct 2006!

As to the classification of some as “Sr Member”, I’d like to point out that if this is based on the number of posts, it is possible to contribute a pile of verbose waffle and off-topic banter and presumably this all counts.

I’m not the most prolific or prolix of members, but I do read the forums pretty thoroughly on a near weekly basis, so I like to think my comments are at all times, at the very least, well-informed.

Can we have some change to this classification system?

Sorry, junior. Strictly a volume-based system. :cheese: But you’ve made some excellent posts, with LOONNGG gaps in between. We senior members remember, and appreciate your infrequent wisdom.

Rezwan
    Participant

Alex Pollard wrote: Can we have some change to this classification system?

What titles do you suggest?

Like Brian says, this is a strictly volume based feature of the forums. It counts posts, without evaluating their quality. Machines are simple that way.

But I don’t have to use the word “newbie”. And I can make the cut off anywhere. For example, most people who join don’t even post once. We could have under 5 posts be “newbie” and then go to other designations. Like call everyone “esteemed colleague”. And then anyone with more than 100 posts “verbose colleague”. Just for fun, we could make multiple cut off points and have people’s titles change randomly, with a “silly babbler” title that pops up between 112-114 posts. We can cut it pretty fine.

Also, some people skip all that, like me, with “admin”. So, once the site gets more organized and we figure out a good way to delegate moderation and authorship and editing, people will have new titles.

As to changing titles based on quality of posts…that would require integrating a ranking system into the forums. I know of a ranking system for articles, which I have downloaded, but not integrated, since the code has to be – well, it’s a low priority, I’ll figure it out down the road. I don’t know if I can use this with the forums, too. That’s advanced.

But it’s a useful feature, so it’s on the list of things to look into.

So…standing by for title suggestions.

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

How about;

Welcome new friend

Valued friend

Cherished old friend

Wise ancient (for those over 650 posts only)
    😉

On the subject of ratings; how do you define a quality post? Who makes that decision?
    The danger is that, if left to the forum members, people will rate a post on how strongly they agree with it.

Perhaps it should be based on who comes up with the most helpful ideas?

Either way it sounds like a lot of work for somebody! :ohh:

Alex Pollard
    Participant

Maybe members of the Focus Fusion Society could be “Member”, and anyone else who has made a post “Contributor”?

Breakable
    Keymaster

On a side note Newbie is not insulting, N00b is.

Rezwan
    Participant

Since the count is simply measuring post quantity, titles could reflect this.

One who hasn’t posted much could be a “poster child”.

And if you’re at zero posts, you’re “pre-posterous”

jamesr
    Participant

Weren’t you talking about trying out some of the solspace addons a while ago that enable ratings etc. This way the good posts get tagged up or down etc and earn the poster ranking points.

Noob
    Participant

Breakable wrote: On a side note Newbie is not insulting, N00b is.

Should I take offence at that?

Brian H
    Participant

Noob wrote:

Absolutely! :ahhh: :coolgrin:

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

jamesr wrote: Weren’t you talking about trying out some of the solspace addons a while ago that enable ratings etc. This way the good posts get tagged up or down etc and earn the poster ranking points.

The danger is that people will rate a post on how strongly they agree with it rather than how good it is.

Rezwan
    Participant

Phil’s Dad wrote: The danger is that people will rate a post on how strongly they agree with it rather than how good it is.

That’s the danger of democracy. And yet we export it all around the world.

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

The worst possible system of government, except for the others. 😉

Rezwan
    Participant

Phil’s Dad wrote: How about;

Welcome new friend

Valued friend

Cherished old friend

Wise ancient (for those over 650 posts only)
    😉

This is the only suggestion so far.

I’m more comfortable with “colleague” or “fellow traveler”. “Friend” presumes… Although I guess that’s the way of the internet, with facebook friends and what not.

Also, I’ve been told that’s the way of the world. While the ideas are important, relationships are more so. This theory implies that our first priority is to make fusion friends, not just babble on in techno-speak about the program and the ideas.

Then again, I think you kind of have to earn friendship.

How about “beloved”, and then “dearly beloved”? Because, “we are gathered here…”

Either way it sounds like a lot of work for somebody! :ohh:

That’s true! And it can be quantified. A friend of mine just got a job as a “Membership Director” for an organization out west. Nice work if you can get it.

OK, reality check – I’ll try the “friend” approach for now, let me know how it feels. But please, let’s come up with something – still friendly, but not so – clingy?

Rezwan
    Participant

Noob wrote:

Wear it like a badge of honor – Oh! You already are. You’ll only be a “newbie” for 2 more posts. I set the bar at 5 to distinguish the majority of non-posters.

[Editor’s note: bar actually set to 10, and you have 2, so you need 8 more posts. And one to grow on.] [Until we change this at random. ] [So…don’t live for the points. Just express yourself in a genuine fashion, when actual thoughts arise.]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.