Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    FrankOlson
    Participant

I think I understand the calculations for optimal anode radius and length. I am not finding much information on how the length of the insulation for the anode is being determined. Are they two completely different things? Can anyone lead me to more information on this? I can access most standard literature through my school library.

FrankOlson
    Participant

Oops, a calculation for anode length is under design parameters in wikipedia. Although they still don’t mention how the insulation length is figured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dense_plasma_focus

From some of the articles I’ve been reading it seems that it’s kinda of a trial and error process. I’ve attached an article that states this, it’s on page 1816.

“Unfortunately, there are still not
    validated theoretical models to determine the dimensions of
    the insulator. Therefore, several tests with different insulator
    length and diameter, scanning pressure range from 1 to
    12 mbar, were necessary to determine the size of the insulator
    in order to obtain a homogeneous initial sheath.”

This article was not through the university, it can be found through google, but I’ve attached it anyway. If it doesn’t let me attach, the name of the article is

“Research on Pinch Plasma Focus Devices of Hundred
    of Kilojoules to Tens of Joules”

Brazilian Journal of Physics,
    ISSN (Printed Version): 0103-9733

FrankOlson
    Participant

I mean what’s the use of this insulator? It helps form the current sheath I’ve read, but it seems to be a source of headache, why not just have an insulator gap at the base? This would be easier to machine and some design parameters and optimizing would be reduced, I think. Is it really essential to the function of a DPF? Even the filippov design has the insulator going up the side, why not just gap the bottom?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.