The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe Alternating Current Z Pinch

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Colin LeMahieu
    Participant

Hey everyone, I’ve been kicking around this idea for fusion for a while and thought everyone could check my understanding. The idea is to create a sustained z pinch using alternating current sources in parallel.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aG-fdXXnEN387YbLcKPWRLR2ygJ38McLgqCZEpNz2-o/edit?usp=sharing

It’d be interesting to know if there are issues that are blatantly impossible.

Francisl
    Participant

You did a nice job of illustrating your concept. It appears to be a hybrid machine that uses a Z-pinch to produce fusion inside a Tokamak type chamber to hold the reaction and extract the energy. The use of lasers to guide the current is an intriguing idea. Laser plasma wave particle acceleration could increase the fusion yield.

Colin LeMahieu
    Participant

Thanks for taking a look. Sometimes pictures explain more than words.

I’m hoping to eventually characterize what it would take to run like how much current the fusion channel needs in order to operate. I know z pinch machines typically run from 100kA to 10MA but they run in pulsed mode. I was hoping if it runs sustained it wouldn’t need as high of a power spike.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.