Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Patientman
    Participant

vansig wrote:

The conversations by non-technical advocates of fusion need a guided understanding of how and when this technology may impact the world. One of the key aspects of Dr. Lerner’s book was to dispel misguided theoretical science. The fine line in science fiction writing on this subject should be in the area of providing possible futures without fantasy. The site already has a section on Space ships and their engines, which is good. Are the expressed concepts within the realms of solid science and how does it bring Focus Fusion into the spot light?

This will have an impact from the moment that above-unity power is announced, as it will trigger quite a lot of scientific research and engineering. first applications will be in x-ray lithography and heat generation, even before electrical unity is reached. there is also a socio-political angle. energy futures markets will adjust as knowledge gets out about its potential.

Electrical unity will depend on efficient electricity recovery from both x-rays and the alpha exit beam — i’m guessing two to five years later.

In the first decades of use, deployment will be limited by cost of components, which is a function of mass production processes and availability of raw materials. there will also be a ripple effect as derivative applications are realized: in recycling, desalination, transportation, manufacturing.

This thread was initially focused on the “About” page and I respect that. I did go an review it after the above response. The extreme technical can scare typical audiences, due to their misguided understanding of terms. They don’t take the time to look things up, unfortunately. The phrase “above-unity power” needs some explanation. Not here and not for me. This is where the fission boys and girls have marketed and explained their world in a positive and simple way. I think Focus Fusion needs a definition section for the non-technical participants, like politicians, investors and simple folk. A wiki-pedia approach. Also, your “About” page should be focused first and briefly on who, what where and why, with links to other posted pages that “pop-up”. You should not put posts on the same page, it is distracting. There are rules of engagement and loss of audience when try to put to much on an executive overview type page.

Rezwan
    Participant

Patientman wrote:
    The conversations by non-technical advocates of fusion need a guided understanding of how and when this technology may impact the world. One of the key aspects of Dr. Lerner’s book was to dispel misguided theoretical science. The fine line in science fiction writing on this subject should be in the area of providing possible futures without fantasy. The site already has a section on Space ships and their engines, which is good. Are the expressed concepts within the realms of solid science and how does it bring Focus Fusion into the spot light?

Well said!

Then again, is it possible to “provide possible futures without fantasy”? Isn’t imagining any possible future a fantasy? It may turn out to be an accurate vision of the future, but only hindsight will corroborate that.

And there’s also the “self-fulfilling prophecy” element. We have flip phones now because they were so cool in Star Trek that people just had to make them real. “I WANT that.”

I wouldn’t try to limit the scope of fantasy. I would go ahead and provide broad categories for the purpose of, say, awards programs (e.g., the “Best Fusion in Sci-Fi Awards” would have a prize for “most possible, realistic” (the “drama” category”), as well as one for most over-the top ridiculous (the “most creative pseudo-science award”).

No need to limit exuberance.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Very well said, as always, Patientman. What would you suggest for our FaceBook page and its discussions?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Fusion-Society/205597630257?v=app_2373072738&ref=mf#!/pages/Focus-Fusion-Society/205597630257?v=wall&ref=mf

Patientman
    Participant

I like the focus on business model discussions. I have only looked at the Face Book pages briefly. One of the bigger concepts ( I have personally) was an interactive science fiction story generated by scientists, creative writers, business people and anyone else interested. This would have two parts, the organization of telling the story(private) and the actual published story to the public. Here again, you could make links within the story to give educational definitions to concepts of a technical nature, yet entertain the audience with a future vision of fusion energy. If you published the story on Face Book and invited comments and discussions, who knows what direction in might take. That seems to be the beauty of the idea. Some of your background organization may change as the story progresses, because you only publish a few pages or a chapter at a time. That is just one of many concepts I think Social Marketing can lend to getting the word out. It is extremely important these forums generate discussions and different perspectives on Fusion. Spreading these words should spark a clear understanding of the difference between DPF and other types of Fusion technologies. Like a fine wine.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Good points. I’m still learning FB as I go, but I’ve seen some really wicked layouts on one of my local TV station’s FB site. Sounds like bringing in business-oriented visitors could really help with the story idea, since the format vaguely resembles that already.

Patientman
    Participant

I think the “About” page can refer to the discussion on Face Book and adding other categories on FB will help with public relations. I posted a question on a different thread, which may be of interest to many interested in private generation of energy: https://focusfusion.org/index.php/forums/viewthread/167

We know how difficult the government can be in trying to start and run a business.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Thanx for the link, PM. I’d missed that thread somehow. Probably for the better. I’ll look into re-writing the About page with an emphasis on how FF can solve nearly all of the government’s “impossible dreams” – and the overwhelming tax advantages of doing so before those loopholes disappear.

Welcome to the 21st Century, round 2 of the American Century. AKA the 3rd Industrial Revolution.

Rezwan
    Participant

Patientman wrote: I like the focus on business model discussions. I have only looked at the Face Book pages briefly. One of the bigger concepts ( I have personally) was an interactive science fiction story generated by scientists, creative writers, business people and anyone else interested. This would have two parts, the organization of telling the story(private) and the actual published story to the public. Here again, you could make links within the story to give educational definitions to concepts of a technical nature, yet entertain the audience with a future vision of fusion energy. If you published the story on Face Book and invited comments and discussions, who knows what direction in might take. That seems to be the beauty of the idea. Some of your background organization may change as the story progresses, because you only publish a few pages or a chapter at a time. That is just one of many concepts I think Social Marketing can lend to getting the word out. It is extremely important these forums generate discussions and different perspectives on Fusion. Spreading these words should spark a clear understanding of the difference between DPF and other types of Fusion technologies. Like a fine wine.

Interactive user-generated sci-fi story? Sounds like a job for a wiki. Should we set one up? I think I have a wiki on the site, but haven’t used it for anything. It is unlinked to.

Brian H
    Participant

Fearless Freddie Flatus frantically flew his furiously fast focus fusion flivver for the faint fringes of the flaring F-star’s far-flung family of fragments and flaming fog of phlogistonic fumes. ….

😛

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

ph is cheating >:(

Brian H
    Participant

Phil’s Dad wrote: ph is cheating >:(

Fooey 2 U! :coolgrin:

Patientman
    Participant

I spoke with a gentleman who has worked for a company the assists non-profits to raise fund. He has twenty years experience, so when I approached him about Focus Fusion Society, he immediately went for the jugular. “What does it do? What is its mission? I can honesty say I don’t see a direct statement of mission. One that puts the golf ball in the cup.:-)

I did some research and have a suggestion:
    I found this at http://www.missionstatements.com
    “When a Non-Profit organization’s purpose is to serve humanity, it is essential that their Mission Statement clearly defines the services to be performed and the compassion driving the people who provide those services.”

If you were to break a mission statement down into key commitments by an organization.
    1. Purpose
    2. Defined services to be performed
    3. What are those compassionate personal reasons for its existence
    4. Who receives these services.

Mission Statement
    Our purpose is to provide an open public forum to achieve the development of technology for a plasma focus fusion device. Through environmental, social and economical responsibility to the world, we will provide safe, cheap, clean, abundant energy that provides a future for a secure life and freedom.

Of course, every word is up for discussion. Keeping it concise is what makes a grant proposal or funding plea easier to understand. I becomes an emotional issue versus a technical one.

Henning
    Participant

That is on the front page on the lower left corner:

We seek to turn the dream of safe, cheap, clean, unlimited energy from aneutronic nuclear fusion into a practical reality, to do it now, and to ensure that this technology is made available to all mankind.

Maybe it should be moved between the Logo+Name and the Donate button, so everyone sees it.

Patientman
    Participant

My friend,
    There is a difference between “Vision and Mission Statement” and when people wish to make contributions or assist in raising funds, they start splitting hairs. Personally, I feel it is one of those late 20th Century bull s#@””! corporate hangovers. I have played and watched the games long enough to know it has meaning for lawyers.

Goggle says,
    • A Mission statement tells you the fundamental purpose of the organization. It defines the customer and the critical processes. It informs you of the desired level of performance.
    • A Vision statement outlines what the organization wants to be, or how it wants the world in which it operates to be. It concentrates on the future. It is a source of inspiration. It provides clear decision-making criteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_planning

And, the mission of Focus Fusion maybe stated in a much different light. We are not directly conducting the research and development and therefore, limited in that outcome. Many of you provide scientific perspectives and I have found great explanations on the subject. Most companies use education as a tool for understanding a new product and “Social Marketing” is a new hybrid that has yet to be fully explored. It is up to Rezwan and the board to determine the mission statement. I only wish to help the focus of this non-profit business in raising more funds and rise above the “Green” noise which keeps the FFS story buried.

Brian H
    Participant

Patientman;
    excellent post. There is, as you indicate, a distinction between the FFS and LPP, Inc. I don’t know if LPP has a mission statement, but it is actually the place where most funding is needed and is going.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.