Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Breakable
    Keymaster

Hi Guys,
    Here is a question I got on LinkedIn. Anyone wants to take a crack:
    Does anyone in the community think that the formation of the plasmoid and the ion beam is a starting point to get to a more sustained process that has a larger margin for error. Certainly Eric Lerner is a visionary and is doing great work but the small margin for error and the stress on materials is incredible. Do you know any of the community that might be interested in starting a discussion. I hope it isn’t offensive to contact you on this site. What you done with the FFS is appreciated

Milemaster
    Participant

I agree completely.

The science is good, and also the basic understanding, but when the engineering issues become to restrictive, we have to surround the issue (As scientists do when they find INFINITIES). As a suggestion some time ago I found that virtual hollow laser electrodes where available, but not yet developed enough to channel the immense currents. Other helps could be additional magnetic constrictors that might allow more time for fusion to take place before the decay of the plasmoid. Nature does it all the time, some help from astrophysicists could spark the idea

Breakable
    Keymaster

I believe I will use this thread for more questions. Here is one I just got today, feel free to answer or clarify:
    I have been tinkering with different ideas for fusion reactors for some years mostly on the computer. I came upon an idea that seems to have interesting possibilities. I have tested this on a computer to some extent and have not found a reason that it doesn’t work. It seems that it might be possible to make a superconducting magnet without the need for super cooled coils of wire. On the computer it is possible to put charged particles into orbit around a charged metal sphere. There is a limit on the number of particles based on the charge capacitance of the sphere. And a ring of such particles will tend to want to disperse because of Coulomb repulsion. But what interests me is the possibility of vastly increasing the number of particles in the ring by neutralizing the ring with particles of an opposite charge. On the computer it is possible to put particles of an opposite charge into very small orbits around the orbiting ring of particles. (if the main ring of particles is at a sufficient distance from the metal sphere, the ring exerts a much larger force on a particle than the sphere) Putting one particle into orbit has the effect of neutralizing one particle in the ring allowing another particle to be added to the main ring. There is still the problem of Coulomb repulsion in the ring. But particles can also be put into oscillation through the ring. (at a sufficient velocities, the electrons are not able to be captured by ions in the ring.) If there were an equal number of particles oscillating through the ring then this would neutralize the Coulomb forces and allow the addition of more and more particles. What would be the limit on the number of charges that could be put into orbit? It seems that it would be possible to build up huge magnetic fields in this way because of course the ring of particles would create a magnetic field (ions in the ring travel in the millions of meters per second and also present the possibility of fusion in the ring at those speeds). The oscillating particles moving through the ring in random directions would have their magnetic fields cancelled out. There would be some sort of losses involved with the electrons moving through the ring of ions. But compared to the energy necessary to drive a current through a copper wire it seems that it could be much more efficient.

I would like to ask one question. Is it possible to trap a plasma inside of a straight solenoid with positively charged plates at each end.? It seems that there would be a large flow of electrons towards the plates at first but soon the electron depleted plasma would acquire an overall positive charge which would prevent the escape of more electrons. This positive bias should keep more electrons from fleeing resulting in a somewhat positively charged plasma but a plasma that was still neutral enough for it to not expand from Coulomb repulsion if there was sufficient magnetic field present.

Francisl
    Participant

Is your concept similar to this plasma device?
    I don’t know how much energy it could store or how the energy would be extracted.

vansig
    Participant

the launched energy ring is reminiscent of smoke rings, and is more-like the tri-alpha device i believe.

there are similarities to focus fusion but i don’t believe they have anything nearly as hot as DPF.
    the clue is, no harmful radiation. that suggests low temperatures, although i would expect xrays from their device anyway.

vector
    Participant

vansig wrote: the launched energy ring is reminiscent of smoke rings, and is more-like the tri-alpha device i believe.

there are similarities to focus fusion but i don’t believe they have anything nearly as hot as DPF.
    the clue is, no harmful radiation. that suggests low temperatures, although i would expect xrays from their device anyway.

If the ion ring was stationary and a neutral gas was suddenly added to it I suspect that the result would be similar. If the magnetic field around the ring was large enough, the newly ionized gas would be trapped and become part of the ion ring. If this was done repeatedly in a vaccum, this could create a massive relatively long lived ring of plasma.

vector
    Participant

Francisl wrote: Is your concept similar to this plasma device?
    I don’t know how much energy it could store or how the energy would be extracted.

(I was the one that submitted the above about the ring of ions orbiting the charged metal sphere.) The idea is to trap a slightly positively charged plasma trapped between two positive plates inside the sphere in a magnetic field so massive (100 Coulombs of ions orbitting at 10 million m/sec in a one meter radius orbit would create a massive 100 Tesla magnetic field) that there is enough fusion before the positive charge on the central plasma causes it to disperse. But I suppose it could also work in another way in a manner similar to the device you mentioned by suddenly adding lots of neutral atoms to the ring of ions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.