Homepage Forums Innovative Confinement Concepts (ICC) and others A fission design similar to focus fusion

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar dennisp 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dennisp

NASA is looking at a fission fragment rocket, which could also be used for an efficient power plant, running a beam of fission fragment ions through a direct conversion process.

http://www.rbsp.info/rbs/RbS/PDF/aiaa05.pdf
    http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/03/proposal-for-concept-assessment-of.html

Not as cool as fusion but if this gets any serious development, maybe some beam conversion technology could cross over.

Tulse
    Participant

I doubt this could be used in a terrestrial plant, as the beam of fragments is radioactive, and would have to be captured and stored in some fashion. However, it appears to be a very promising technology for space propulsion, with enormous specific impulse, and could get craft up to a reasonable fraction of c.

dennisp

For a power plant the idea is definitely not to vent the fission fragments to the atmosphere 🙂 …but rather to trap them electromagnetically and extract energy as you reduce their velocity to zero. That’s the part it might have in common with a focus fusion reactor.

After that you have to dispose of the waste, just like any fission reactor. But the problem is easier than for a light-water reactor, because the (relatively short-lived) fission products are separated from the heavy isotopes. I would guess you can also achieve high fuel burnup, which in a LWR is limited because fission products are trapped in the solid fuel. Some of them absorb a lot of neutrons, and some are gases that are bad for fuel integrity.

Tulse
    Participant

dennisp wrote: For a power plant the idea is definitely not to vent the fission fragments to the atmosphere 🙂

I kinda figured that 🙂

On the other hand, unless I’m mistaken, it sounds like the waste ends up as a gas, or at least a very fine powder, and that would be seriously difficult to handle and dispose of.

dennisp

Some fission products are gases at room temperature, but that’s the same for any fission reactor. It does have to be handled carefully but there are well-developed ways to do it. I think one is to embed them in blocks of glass.

I don’t want to give the impression that I think it’s as good as fusion. But I think it’s worth keeping an eye on, just for technology sharing if nothing else.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.