The Focus Fusion Society Forums Plasma Cosmology and BBNH A bit more on galactic magnetic fields, and research into them

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mchargue
    Participant

(PhysOrg.com) — Scientists at the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) are part of an international team that has pooled their radio observations into a database, producing the highest precision map to date of the magnetic field within our own Milky Way galaxy.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-scientists-high-precision-milky-magnetic-fields.html

IIRC, the BBNH book leaned on magnetic fields as a mechanism for the formation of large structures in the universe. It’s good to see that research into large-scale magnetism is ongoing, and I await results from such research.

Pat

AaronB
    Participant

“The magnetic field directions above and below the disk seem to be diametrically opposed, as indicated by the positive (red) and negative (blue) values. An analogous change of direction takes place across the vertical center line, which runs through the center of the Milky Way.”

Well, that’s interesting. Sounds a little like an electric motor or generator. I wonder what would happen to plasma and electrons in the arms of a spinning galaxy that has magnetic fields set up like that. Hmmm.

AaronB
    Participant

This map of galactic magnetic fields shows the prevalence of magnetic fields in interstellar space. Magnetic fields cause the polarity of light to align with the fields. This is called the Faraday effect. The polarity of light is the axis of the angular momentum of the photon. It is my opinion that it takes energy to change that polarity, just like it takes energy to change the axis of a spinning bicycle tire. Since the speed of light is fixed in a certain medium, the only way for a photon to lose energy is in its frequency, or the speed of its spin. Since a photon is essentially massless, it would only lose a tiny bit of energy when its axis of rotation was changed, so it would only experience a tiny redshift with each change. However, a photon traveling for billions of years through many different intergalactic magnetic fields would, it seems to me, experience a significant amount of redshift that would be roughly linear with the distance traveled, depending on the number of magnetic fields it encountered along the way. If this hasn’t been proposed before, we can call it Faraday redshifting. It avoids the scattering problems of other tired light proposals. What do you think?

mchargue
    Participant

AaronB wrote: This map of galactic magnetic fields shows the prevalence of magnetic fields in interstellar space. Magnetic fields cause the polarity of light to align with the fields. This is called the Faraday effect. The polarity of light is the axis of the angular momentum of the photon. It is my opinion that it takes energy to change that polarity, just like it takes energy to change the axis of a spinning bicycle tire. Since the speed of light is fixed in a certain medium, the only way for a photon to lose energy is in its frequency, or the speed of its spin. Since a photon is essentially massless, it would only lose a tiny bit of energy when its axis of rotation was changed, so it would only experience a tiny redshift with each change. However, a photon traveling for billions of years through many different intergalactic magnetic fields would, it seems to me, experience a significant amount of redshift that would be roughly linear with the distance traveled, depending on the number of magnetic fields it encountered along the way. If this hasn’t been proposed before, we can call it Faraday redshifting. It avoids the scattering problems of other tired light proposals. What do you think?

The article didn’t discuss red-shift of the light, merely its polarization. I think that looking for a red-shift would be a good idea, but I can’t deduce it from what was written.

BTW: “Faraday redshifting” is a good name!

Henning
    Participant

AaronB wrote: This map of galactic magnetic fields shows the prevalence of magnetic fields in interstellar space. Magnetic fields cause the polarity of light to align with the fields. This is called the Faraday effect. The polarity of light is the axis of the angular momentum of the photon. It is my opinion that it takes energy to change that polarity, just like it takes energy to change the axis of a spinning bicycle tire. Since the speed of light is fixed in a certain medium, the only way for a photon to lose energy is in its frequency, or the speed of its spin. Since a photon is essentially massless, it would only lose a tiny bit of energy when its axis of rotation was changed, so it would only experience a tiny redshift with each change. However, a photon traveling for billions of years through many different intergalactic magnetic fields would, it seems to me, experience a significant amount of redshift that would be roughly linear with the distance traveled, depending on the number of magnetic fields it encountered along the way. If this hasn’t been proposed before, we can call it Faraday redshifting. It avoids the scattering problems of other tired light proposals. What do you think?

That’s possibly something like Ari Brynjolfsson’s Plasma Redshift Cosmology, which was mentioned in the forum.

willit
    Participant

interesting paper.
    the paper speaks mostly of redshift from plasmas. only in the last few pages does it contend with magnetic disturbances and light interaction. it seems to me that the redshift from magnetic interaction would be less uniform in that magnetic anomolies are generally not very uniform. knowing the difference from magnetic and plasma redshift would be the trick in quantifying either.
    you cannot easily disect the universe without encountering interactions from other processes.

Brian H
    Participant

Semi-related, it seems the Milky Way has a diameter of about 2 million ly, far too large to be compatible with the Dark Matter Universe:
    http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Do_Milky_Way_Companions_Spell_Trouble_for_Dark_Matter_999.html

Cosmology is a blood sport.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.