Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jamesr
    Participant

I just saw the tweet saying you’ve now got a 4 PICOS ICCD Camera.

I did some work back in 2000 on intensified CCD cameras and this looks like a very impressive bit of kit. I was working on improving the photocathode efficiency by modeling the variation of the refractive index with thickness for various materials. The camera we built at University College London was used for astronomy like observing the spectra variation of pulsars as they spin, by syncing the CCD to the spin period of the pulsar, but that was slow in comparison down in the ms range. This camera goes down to 200ps!

Will the plasmoid be bright enough in the visible/UV to use narrow band filters for an exposure that short – eg to look just for the H or He lines, or will you need all the light to get a reasonable image. Is it possible to insert a diffraction grating to get a specta of the plasmoid? Maybe using a narrow slit so you can form an image which is a cross section of the spectrum across the area of the plasmoid.

Brian H
    Participant

The company specs say it can detect single photons, and cycle at 10MHz, so there should be some snazzy videos of plasmoid events!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.