Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    epimenide
    Participant

vansig wrote: the poll-taking script on http://www.paolomanna.com/ appears to be broken (on both chrome 5.0 browser, and IE 6.0).

Sorry for the inconvenience, I haven’t much experience with WordPress, still learning…

I’ve corrected the theme script to play nicely with the poll plugin, it should work now! :red:

Aeronaut
    Participant

Yep, it’s working in FF today. Enjoyed the resume, btw. Looks like your docs are on the right track.

Ivy Matt
    Participant

So this is going to be an iPhone/iPad game? Well, I know people who have iPhones, and at least one person who has an iPad. If you go the cocos2d route, the new Particle Designer looks like it may come in handy. Or perhaps you could take some inspiration from this game. Going by the latest news, it appears the serious commercial plasma simulators are all based on either particle physics or fluid dynamics.

I checked the analysis and blank technology card. It looks good to me. What’s the next step? Settling on the 4-5 technologies? That would probably be another good topic for a poll, once the current poll has run its course.

By the way, I didn’t know there had been a Google Tech Talk on the FRC until I checked your blog. Thanks for the link to it!

epimenide
    Participant

Ivy Matt wrote: So this is going to be an iPhone/iPad game?

Not necessarily: I’m available for that kind of coding, plus this initial phase that’s independent from the actual platform, but if a Flash developer gets on board, things can go on in parallel.

Well, I know people who have iPhones, and at least one person who has an iPad.

Yes, there are a few millions of them around (including iPod Touch)… 🙂
    What’s best for our purpose is also that the typical iPhone user likes to experiment and explore, and show others what he’s able to achieve!

If you go the cocos2d route, the new Particle Designer looks like it may come in handy.

I’ve already played (and extended for my own purposes) that part: it’s very nice, however I wouldn’t use it for more than visual effects… What I expect from the output power formula is an approximate and empirical result, calculated in discrete steps with not much computing power: after all, we have no supercomputer at hand to do the real work, and we don’t want the player to wait forever!

What’s the next step? Settling on the 4-5 technologies?

Yes, of course, and possibly ideas for the components and factors for each of them. No need to think about levels right now, let’s get to the point where we have a running reactor of each type to test the game.

That would probably be another good topic for a poll, once the current poll has run its course.

I’m not sure about the poll… While the name is definitely something that has to appeal to as many players as possible, and therefore a poll is useful, the technologies need a bit more thought: there must be enough public knowledge available in order to build the pseudo-simulation, be intuitive enough for the player to understand them with no physics degree, and so on.

Yes, I can run the poll, but I wouldn’t rely too much on it for the final choice…

Ivy Matt
    Participant

epimenide wrote: I’ve already played (and extended for my own purposes) that part: it’s very nice, however I wouldn’t use it for more than visual effects… What I expect from the output power formula is an approximate and empirical result, calculated in discrete steps with not much computing power: after all, we have no supercomputer at hand to do the real work, and we don’t want the player to wait forever!

Visual effects are what I was thinking of.

Yes, of course, and possibly ideas for the components and factors for each of them. No need to think about levels right now, let’s get to the point where we have a running reactor of each type to test the game.

Perhaps one of these days I’ll post my “fusion menagerie”. I believe I have at least one reactor type I haven’t seen mentioned on this forum. Of course, I suppose the wildest ideas would be the least likely to be considered for the game.

there must be enough public knowledge available in order to build the pseudo-simulation

Yes, and that might be a showstopper for most of the reactor types.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Not true, Ivy Matt. I believe we have a chicken and egg type of thang where 5 images would sell the reactor types. Some (groups?) are comfortable with gigawatt centralized plants, others will want one for their subdivision or village. So the first step becomes creating the desire to learn about the options. And an image is easily worth 1,000 words.

vansig
    Participant

The desire to have your power plants far away from your cities stems from the present condition of society: the collective belief that power generation must be massive, expensive, polluting, and dangerous. The public is so convinced that this must be true, that people are willing to invent diseases, in order to blame even wind turbines. Erode those misconceptions, and you’ll be selling.

A role-playing game around the various power technologies that involves perceived threats by public, accidents, and consequences, as well as success or failure of marketing/propaganda would be very educational.

Scott
    Participant

its time to check your apps, post your apps link after developed the app

Scott
    Participant

Send Me PM, i can help you..

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.