Sparkplug cathode by pinching a toroid coil.
Posted: 08 November 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  228
Joined  2010-06-10

Arrange a conductive toroid coil attached to a battery. Make sure there is a conductive and very thin conductive pin in the center of the z axis.  Turn on the battery and the coil will collapse due the pinch. When it is small, it will touch the pin. The pin will work as a cathode and will discharge all the current of the coil in very small instant of time.

What do you think?

Posted: 08 November 2010 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-06-10
MTd2 - 08 November 2010 03:19 PM

Arrange a conductive toroid coil attached to a battery. Make sure there is a conductive and very thin conductive pin in the center of the z axis.  Turn on the battery and the coil will collapse due the pinch. When it is small, it will touch the pin. The pin will work as a cathode and will discharge all the current of the coil in very small instant of time.

What do you think?

Is the z-axis pin connected to the toroidal coil?  If not, does this mean that the toroidal coil distorts in order to connect tot he z-axis pin?  Can you eplain this further, please?

Pat

Posted: 08 November 2010 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10

Yes, the coil distorts and touch the z axis. The idea is to use the toroid as a capacitor that when it reaches a certain critical density it fires its energy.

I thought of something else in the meantime. It goes in the opposite direction.

Take this picture as an example.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/2006-02-04_Metal_spiral.jpg

Make it a toroid. It is a spring also, but the coil is flat. So, as one puts energy in there, it stores energy in potential mechanical form and potential eletromagnetic form. It will expand and at a point it will touch a pin, which will fire towards the anode.

Posted: 09 November 2010 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Old Croaker
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1458
Joined  2007-11-01

Is this a one shot design? If not, how fast could it cycle, with all the flexing?  And how many billion cycles could it last?

Signature 

Help Keep The Planet Green: Maximize Your CO2 and CH4 Output!

Posted: 09 November 2010 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2006-09-20

I think it will have synchronisation problems, ie. not all switches working in an equally narrow time frame than we have today, as for mechanical designs taking longer to switch than the ionisation of gases. If it’s possible to build bigger switches than with ionising gas switches, and then just using one of them, it might be worth a second thought.

Posted: 09 November 2010 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Brian H - 09 November 2010 10:07 AM

Is this a one shot design? If not, how fast could it cycle, with all the flexing?  And how many billion cycles could it last?

This is just a concept. I know almost nothing about spark plugs but I know that there has to be a discharge with an energy several orders of magnitude higher than my car’s.

How long must be the discharge last?

Posted: 09 November 2010 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Henning - 09 November 2010 10:24 AM

I think it will have synchronisation problems, ie. not all switches working in an equally narrow time frame than we have today, as for mechanical designs taking longer to switch than the ionisation of gases. If it’s possible to build bigger switches than with ionising gas switches, and then just using one of them, it might be worth a second thought.

The idea is to build a capacitor that can store an release as fast and with the highest density possible. As for the syncronization problem, I was thinking if it would be possible to cause some kind of cascade effect after reaching a threashold.

Posted: 09 November 2010 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-06-10
MTd2 - 09 November 2010 01:39 PM

The idea is to build a capacitor that can store an release as fast and with the highest density possible. As for the syncronization problem, I was thinking if it would be possible to cause some kind of cascade effect after reaching a threashold.

“Cascade effect” = Spark across th gap.