I’d still like to know about Helium 3.
Posted: 18 December 2008 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2008-08-22

In a previous topic, I mulled around with the idea of injecting something else to help get the pB11 reaction over the “hump”, so to speak, or to get it going at lower temperature and/or pressures. It seems that after talking to belbear and others that the physics of fission of massive atoms like uranium, thorium, and etc. is just too incompatible with the focus fusion device. But nobody has yet replied back (as far as I know) about the Helium 3 that I also mentioned as a possibility. One major drawback to this lighter helium isotope is that it is scarce here on Earth. It is more common in the lunar soil of the Moon. Could the injection of He 3 and/or deutrium help to ignite the pB11 reaction any easier?

Posted: 21 December 2008 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
New Friend
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-05-29
Tasmodevil44 - 18 December 2008 11:12 PM

In a previous topic, I mulled around with the idea of injecting something else to help get the pB11 reaction over the “hump”, so to speak, or to get it going at lower temperature and/or pressures. It seems that after talking to belbear and others that the physics of fission of massive atoms like uranium, thorium, and etc. is just too incompatible with the focus fusion device. But nobody has yet replied back (as far as I know) about the Helium 3 that I also mentioned as a possibility. One major drawback to this lighter helium isotope is that it is scarce here on Earth. It is more common in the lunar soil of the Moon. Could the injection of He 3 and/or deutrium help to ignite the pB11 reaction any easier?

The problem with He-3 - D reaction is not only He-3 being “unobtainium” in large quantities, but mostly that deuterium is much more likely to react with another deuterium nucleus in a neutronic D-D reaction than with anything else.

And D-D reactions are lousy plasma-heaters because most energy is carried away in neutrons.
These neutrons can be slowed and captured to produce thermal energy, but they do little to heat the plasma.
In fact that’s the whole trouble for the Tokamak people, who can’t get their plasmas hot and dense enough to achieve ignition.

Nevertheless, deuterium is a great diagnostic tool to measure your fusion rate in an experiment, because nothing else than fusion produces neutrons.

Posted: 28 December 2008 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-22

Darn .... I’ve contemplated the idea of heavy atom fission (physics seems totally incompatible), deutrium and scarce He 3 (costly moon mining of lunar soil, anyone?). What the heck else might somehow get the plasma in the focus fusion reactor hotter and more energetic? I’ve heard about the Blacklight reaction Randall Mills is working on at his Blacklight Power Corporation. However, this process is still very controversial. It seems to contradict mainstream physics and everything we know about quantumn mechanical principles. And if it works, you would still have to figure - out whether or not it could be workable or compatible with focus fusion.

When thinking “outside - the - box” about countless other possibilities, most of them fall by the wayside as not workable. But I keep hoping that if we maintain an open mind and play hit or miss enough times, one half - baked idea out of every one - hundred or so might finally hit paydirt. Also, assumptions about how things work based upon known principles don’t always work, either. It is no substitute for real world experimentation. Sometimes, you can get unexpected results that can literally blow you away. Many new discoveries and breakthroughs are unexpected accidents. I keep hoping that a major new development in focus fusion happens any day now. I’d love to read an exciting newspaper headline like : ” Eric Lerner’s team of researchers unexpectedly output twenty times more energy .... beats ITER to the punch ! ! ! “

Posted: 28 December 2008 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-22

Or perhaps I’m looking at it all from the wrong approach. Instead of dumping more thermal energy into the plasma to obtain higher temperatures .... perhaps it needs higher pressure instead to help it along. Would the interaction of some sort of external electrical or magnetic field help to pinch or compress the plasma vortex even tighter? More than likely, it would cause some sort of instability that would have the opposite effect of breaking - up the plasma vortex. Or perhaps it could be made to convet the thermal energy and high temperatures into greater compression.

Posted: 28 December 2008 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Old Croaker
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1463
Joined  2007-11-01
Tasmodevil44 - 28 December 2008 05:25 AM

Or perhaps I’m looking at it all from the wrong approach. Instead of dumping more thermal energy into the plasma to obtain higher temperatures .... perhaps it needs higher pressure instead to help it along. Would the interaction of some sort of external electrical or magnetic field help to pinch or compress the plasma vortex even tighter? More than likely, it would cause some sort of instability that would have the opposite effect of breaking - up the plasma vortex. Or perhaps it could be made to convet the thermal energy and high temperatures into greater compression.

Perhaps you better go back a few steps and explain why you want more temperature, etc.  It seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Signature 

Help Keep The Planet Green: Maximize Your CO2 and CH4 Output!

Posted: 08 January 2009 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-22

Brian H. stated that:

” Perhaps you better go back a few steps and explain why you want more temperature, etc. It seems like a solution in search of a problem. “

I don’t quite know what you mean by that. Unless it’s a different way of saying what I said. Basically, what I was trying to say is that it may not be more plasma temperature that will help it along, but more plasma DENSITY that may help make pB11 fusion easier to achieve ...... if a way for the plasma to be squeezed tighter can be achieved. In that case, it may not be the injection of some other kind of fuel impurity/supplement that works so much as some sort of extra physical means applied. What that other means would be at this point is anyone’s guess and pure conjecture. Any additional ideas, input or suggestions? When doing pure basic reseach, even doing experiments like changing the basic shape of electrodes may have surprising or unexpected results that might make the device work more efficient.

Posted: 08 January 2009 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-22

Brian H.  stated that:

” Perhaps you better go back a few steps and explain why you want more temperature, etc. It seems like a solution in search of a problem “

Or are you basically trying to say that you are fully confident that:

#1. that boron and hydrogen alone will easily ignite.

#2. no additional catalytic stimmulus neccessary.

#3. with current DPF.

#4. no additional brakthroughs neccessary.

#5. now only a matter of time and additional funding.

Well I sure hope so. Every enthusiastic mad scientist the world over will be screaming ” Eureka, eureka, eureka, eureka ...... the global energy crunch will be solved at last ! ! ! ”  wink

Posted: 03 February 2009 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Old Timer
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-22

My basic idea is quite simple, but more problematic in actual practice. You add some kind of supplemental fuel additive that may help the pB11 reaction take place more easily. It would have to be an energy releasing reaction at lower temperature ...... dumping more energy into the plasma than the electric power supply alone can provide ...... rapidly bringing it up to pB11 temperature. However, we seem to be running out of workable options, so that the pB11 reaction alone will have to suffice. Lerner is pretty confident that it can. Go fusion power ! ! !